1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dying a cat hide

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by 71Challenger R/T, Jan 27, 2015.

1. 71Challenger R/T

71Challenger R/T New Member

I have a client who brought in a tanned mountain lion hide he wants mounted, His bar is called the black panther, and he wants it for the bar mascot. The problem is he wants it dyed black so as to look like a black leopard, I need to know the process, and products necessary for the job. Can anyone help me out here?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Black hair dye is about the only option that I can think of.

3. tat

tat Member

Do not dye it before mounting I had tried with a tanned MT Lion this many years ago and the skin came apart like dry rot might have been a chemical reaction if you do it mount the cat then color it might take two applications to obtain the desired color test dye a dryed piece of tanned skin of some type before just jumping in on it it can be a hair and skin of similar type and tan

4. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Go with a really dark brown, not black. Black hair dye will just make it look blue or purple in certain light.

5. 71Challenger R/T

71Challenger R/T New Member

I don't know what will work, But I know for sure Hair dye won't. I tried it. For some reason cat hair will not take the dye efficiently, black, or dark brown come out kind od light gray, upholstery die Does not work either. it is like the hair has a coating over it. the upholstery dye just beads up on the hair shaft.

6. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

has to be hot dyed...had one done...the white under chin though needs to be re done after mounting