1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cape Stretcher Results

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Leapin, Jan 27, 2015.

1. RTF

RTF Active Member

Are we all ordering larger forms to go through such drastic measures to get the cape to fit? Who in the heck is tanning your capes that they shrink so much? You get a deer in the shop with an 18 inch neck, you order a form with an 18 inch neck. Open cut skins get tooled in my shop and tubed capes get two arms inside with a twist and tug.

2. Dan Taylor

Dan Taylor Member

x2 Clifftax .

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I keep reading this and wondering the same thing Cliff. It's crazy. When the hell did this phenomenon hit the industry?

4. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Why not stretch the cape out to make it easier to maneuver around and taxi everything correctly in place? I still use same measurement as I would without the stretcher,but I'm not going to fight the cape like I would if I didn't use a cape stretcher.Not to mention I don't know how many mounts I have taken in for remount because the customer wasn't happy with the size mount he got back from a taxidermist.Give the customer as solid of a deer mount back as possible without fighting it the whole way plus makes for happier customers and my job a lot easier..By the way I use one I bought on eBay for around 90 bucks works great

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, I suppose it's just the way I am. The customer gets what he brought. I don't try to make it "solid" if it wasn't and I damned sure don't try to make it any bigger than it was. If he wants a bigger one, he'd better shoot a bigger one. When my hides are tanned, they're wet and stay in the freezer. I wash them and spin them dry. I towel them and then final shave them. I slip both arms down inside and brace my palms together and expand the hide. I test fit it and if it gets over the head, it will fit. I don't ever recall having to take a hide off a form so I could grind it down and I don't ever recall HAVING to expand it to make it easier. I will expand tubed animals and if I'm putting on a seminar, I often put an innertube inside the hide to insure it doesn't shrink on me. The "old guys" will tell you that the best way to prevent the hide from being "tight" on you is to split it all the way down the back.

6. Sometimes the tan shrinks a cape. its not any big deal to get the size back to what it was. Some tanneries have a habit of shaving the length of the cape, this always , I repeat always makes the cape smaller in diameter. If I tan and shave a cape myself I will shave them diagonally so they let out to the original size. I sometimes have to use a method to get back the original size on tannery or salt dried capes. I really dont think anyone can say they never lost any cape size, honestly.

7. wespaulm

wespaulm New Member

I was having a hard time getting an 18 inch deer on an 18 inch form with a tan that wouldn't stretch half an inch. I'd rather have plenty of skin for comfort of mounting and manuvering the skin once it was on the form. When I was getting my hides tanned I measured 2 inches of Shrinkage on a deer. After I started tanning my own I can gain 2 inches of slack. So being as I don't know there process I couldnt tell you why they would shrink.