1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

owls....

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by skullexposures, Jan 27, 2015.

1. I found an owl that had been hit by a car on the side of the road more than dead but the skull still intact what are the rules for possessing roadkill like that I want to do a European mount with a skull but don't want to get in trouble any input

2. Short answer... if you are from the US (which I'm assuming you are by your email) then no. Don't touch it. You could not in anyway legally posses it as a private citizen. Sorry, I know it's a bummer.

3. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

If you are in the U.S. -------- Don't have any part of it or you'll get your butt fined or thrown in prison...

If you are in Europe------- Go ahead and mount the whole thing!

LOL!

But seriously there is no way for you to do anything with the skull, feathers, skin or anything unless you work for (hired to mount it by) a museum or school and get the paperwork so you can mount it for said museum or school. Too bad, but that's just the way it is here...

4. Bummer... I just tossed a great owl back onto the side of the road to be destroyed by buzzards what a waste of something that would be beautiful when mounted... I just wanted a European mount t of it.. someone had already cut the feet off... bummed

5. is there a list of no go birds and mammals heck even and reptiles and fish

6. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

The only birds that you can mount are European sparrows, European starlings, and game birds from hunting. To my knowledge with all other animals unless it's protected, endangered, or requires paperwork (ie deer) It's all good. Look on your local DNR website for what's what...

7. akvz

akvz New Member

And Eurasian Rock Doves.... also known as "pigeons." Pretty much any native species, even seagulls and other common birds, are illegal to possess in any form, even a single feather.

Chippers likes this.
  8. Ted

Ted Member

If you want to do these things, get in touch with a visitor center, National Wildlife Refuge or State Game warden. Help them apply for a permit. Once they have it you can work for them as a volunteer or they may pay for your supplies. Be careful. I did hawks for the state game warden then found out he did not have a Federal permit. Also I had a USFWS employee drop off a Bald Eagle in a bag labeled Badger. We both thought it was a badger until I opened it.

Visitor Centers, local wildlife museums, etc usually have a freezer full of items.

9. Fteromaniac

Fteromaniac New Member

That law only exists in the US, not Europe.
    And even if it does, it doesn’t exist in most (or all) european countries

10. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

you can get a replica owl skull for mounts just make your own

Attached Files: