1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wood duck and pintail

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Txrebel, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Txrebel

Txrebel New Member

Here is some of my recent birds please critique the good bad and ugly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I know some beaks can be different, but did you cover the white on the wood duck bill with red?

3. You also need to straighten up that white line on his head.

4. Txrebel

Txrebel New Member

The white is still there
    [​IMG]

Thanks I will clean the lines up

5. Ted

Ted Member

Hope this helps. THe pintail neck should have a S shape double bend, even when extended. Play with a real neck. Starting at the body, it bends down then up then down. The point where it bends is always the same. You cant bend it the wrong way.

Second, the scapulars need to be moved. Look at the point where the scapulars come to a point. Take a pin and pull that point up and in and pin it into the body at the very front of the form.

On the wood duck, drill a trough in the head under the eyes and fill with clay. Tuck the ugly part (grey feathers) into the clay so you only see the green.

Both bird could be cleaner. Do you wheel the birds? Remove all the fat, slice between every feather, was with Dawn soap repeatedly. I soak my birds in water with a cap full of vinegar for 24 hrs but most people don't. Then wash with Dawn again. Blow dry without ever touching the feathers with your hand. Put one hand inside the bird while drying. Never lay the skin down on anything but a clean towel. Wash your hands often.. Blow dry until the fuzz at the base of the feathers is dry. Shake the skin. If the feathers don't stand out fluffy and shine beautifully Clean it some more. Wash it some more.

6. Txrebel

Txrebel New Member

Ted thank you for the tips. This is my 8th and 9th bird. Yes I used a wheel when I fleshed them. Thank you for the tip for the eyes on the woody. I have never heard of it before. I have another pin and woody coming up so I will make sure I make the neck bends more obvious and tuck the gray in. I appreciate the help

7. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

[​IMG]

8. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Check out pbase for tons of good reference photos!

9. I hesitate to post this, because I don't want it to come across the wrong way and I certainly do not mean this in an unkind way. You really, really, need to look at some reference. There are a lot of things wrong with the mounts starting at the paint job on the Woody's bill. The bill and eye's go a long way towards a nicer looking mount and are easy to match with tons of great reference available (especially for Wood Ducks). The birds, as Ted said, both look either dirty or poorly rinsed or both. If the bird is clean and dry (feathers AND down that is, not the skin) then it's really hard to mess it up too bad with some basic measurements on the bird carcass and some reference material.

Keep at it, for 8 & 9 they aren't bad... just my thoughts on the matter :)