1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Identification

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dbg, Jan 28, 2015.

1. dbg

dbg New Member

Hi, was wondering if someone can identify the fish on this mount which I bought at an estate sale to resell.

I actually threw my hat in the ring for my first taxidermy repair too. 4 of the fins were bent or cracked, most notable the bottom middle and right ones and I repaired them with lens tissue on the back and built up some modge podge on both sides. Also reglazed all of the fins where the finish was flaking, again with some modge podge. Worked perfect for a complete novice!

Also, I have no idea how to rate taxidermy / paint jobs for fish. So could if you know what the fish is could you also rate the mount on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 best?

Thanks to anyone who can help! I really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

0...a big fat zero

3. Nasty rainbow trout, worth nothing, great piece to toss int he trash.

4. dbg

dbg New Member

Good thing I'm only into it for $2! :)

5. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

the eyes and board are 2 bucks

6. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Answer: I think an M-80 would clean it up a bit..... ;D

Attached Files:

7. Steven Klee

Steven Klee Steven Klee Studios

Attached Files:

8. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Well just like the circus says theirs a sucker born every minute. Sorry that you wasted your time and money into this. Yes it is a Steelhead but it's a shame of a mount.

9. Looks like they way I felt the next day after a good night in at the bar! :eek: ???

10. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Done right, it could still look great. Probably, it would only really be worth the effort/cost as a sentimental piece, and as an estate sale purchase I suppose the proud memory of catching this fish has passed on with the former owner. But it could be resurrected.
    Best, Scott

11. Brian W

dgb,
    I believe Scott wants to work on that one for you...... ;D

12. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

If this is the reference photo used by the original artist...I say GENIUS!!!!!!

Attached Files:

13. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

You guys are pathetic. I've learned to live with the jealousy of other taxidermists over my fish mounting abilities.
    Brian, if you want to come down and learn how to mount like that, you're more than welcome; you won't have to be ashamed of your work anymore, I'll help. We'll have a few beers and in no time I will have you mounting just like the fish pictured here.

14. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Truth---that head looks like a smoked herring from the grocery store, LOL

15. Harum

Harum Active Member

Got the fin pockets right ;D

16. JE

JE Well-Known Member

It actually looks as though it was fastened to the board and left to dry out !
    Although a very extreme case it would make a great pic for a web site to steer people towards a replica,
    can I use it ?
    John

17. Brian W

Sounds like a plan.....the beers I mean... ;D.....and I think Rich nailed that reference pic. You can really see how very important reference is........

18. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Active Member

Put it in the month in fish thread cause it can't be criticized 8)

19. Brian W

He asked for a rating Bryan........and I suspect it was just to get a reaction (he knows it looks like Rich's ref pic...lol). So, mission accomplished.

20. den007

den007 Active Member

Madre de Dios!

I have an idea. Now that we can buy Cuban cigars………we can send them some of our "vintage" cigars. That is one big stogie.

Standards in the USA? Not for our politicians, police, and especially our DNR guys that protect and serve our vast wildlife resources. LOL