1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Home vs Tannery??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by courtneyh28, Jan 28, 2015.

1. courtneyh28

courtneyh28 New Member

Hey Guys and Gals. I'm just getting going good into taxidermy. Mostly doing shoulder mounted whitetails. About 15-20 a year now but before I buy a new 1800$ fleshing machine I have to ask.
    My question is simple. Is it worth it to buy a new flesher and do my skinning/tanning at home or should I send it out to one of the many tannery's and have it done by them?? Seems like the tannery a are doing great jobs and you save a lot of time rather than doing it all at home. What do you say?

2. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

If you don't mind waiting 3-6 months for the tannery...let them do it. If it bothers you and you want to be able to deliver faster....buy the machine.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Most tanneries can't do what you can do at home and that is control. Yes they do a great job (tanneries) but I like mine shaved closer and the tan I use most tanneries don't use it cause it's a garment tan and not a taxidermy tan. There are differences here but to long to into the difference.

For it's like this if I send a cape out and say it cost me 60-75 includes shipping maybe more and then I spend another hour or more on that cape to get to the thinness I want, then it's way over a $100.00 bucks and a waste of time and money to where If I shave it and tan it here I'm looking at $30-40.00 a cape. JMHO plus it's ready to mount totally.

4. I do between between 30 and 40 deer heads a season also , I bought a Dakota pro years ago and never looked back. .Your in control of your capes, how quick there tanned and extra money in your pocket not the tannery.