1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discount on Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by big J, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Do any of you guys give discounts to a customer if brings you a bunch of fish at one time, had a regular customer call me yesterday and wanted to know if i could give him a better deal if he brought me alot of fish, i asked him how many, and he said at least 13 but it could go up to 20, i guess him and his friends are nailing the Perch up on Saginaw Bay in michigan, i told him we could work something out, but wanted to know how many of you guys give a discount for someone who bring you that many fish, he said he's going to bring them to me regardless if i give him a discount or not.

2. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Active Member

In my experience the guys that say that usually bring you nothing. (just my experience) I may give a guy that is a longtime customer some driftwood for a fish or something like that as an upgrade on bringing more than 3 fish. Can most guys really come up with a deposit on 13 fish?
    I charge $350 for panfish which is 4,500, 50% deposit on that, wow!
    Its like the guy who says "give me a deal and I've got friends and clubs that will send you all the work you can do" What you get after the deal is "crickets".

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

As Bryan said, most of these types are all talk, BUT.... I also learned many years ago to NEVER, ever ASSUME what your potential customer's budget is! NEVER! Once you land a few of these jobs that actually DO pan out you'll understand why!

What I do is think about the time I'll save by not having to deal with MORE customers. And the time I'll save by batching. Also, it's a PERFECT opportunity to do something really cool - diorama's and $uch!!! Think about the time you'll save and throw a % discount you can still be happy with and write up a quick quote and you may be handsomely rewarded! (Don't cut yourself short though - the guys that bite can afford it!) I haven't had many, but a few customers through the years that have plopped down $2500+ deposit without batting an eyelash!

4. this is a regular customer thats been pretty spot on when he tells me he going to come with the fish i believe him, it's just not his fish it's a group of guys, he fishes with, there maybe 4 or 5,one guy has 6 he wants done in a stringer mount but he's brining them all and i have to make out seprate bills. wow you get that much for a perch mount i want to live where your at, i struggle to get people to pay the $10 an inch i charge in this part of the country, the only one i know around here that would get that much would be Randy Budzinsky and he's about 50 minutes west of me.

5. Bryan Russell

Marty has a good point, Occasionally they "bite". I'm just saying that most don't. A lot of the "tire kickers" are all talk. If the call starts with "how much do you charge" they seem to end with, "I'll get back to you"! Ya can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I would cut the guy a break when he's standing in front of you with the fish. If he's a good customer, then a break is probably in order.
    As Marty said batching is important and I do that as much as possible. I don't really see that as a huge factor when painting individual scales 2 or 3x each though.
    As a side note What you charge is up to you, not the area you live in. A lions share of my clients are nowhere near me, so I ship. (some may be near you though ;))
    It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks but you and your client. I don't get advice from my competitors. 8)

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No I don't do it unless he's one heck of a client that brought me a ton of work plus clients. That's the only time I give one and the most I give is 10%. Other than
    that I say to other clients it still takes me the same time to mount one as to twenty of them and the costs are the same. So I ask what do you want me to eliminate on their fish for the discount? Most just want a cheap price for that and don't come any way cause I'm still to high and ps I don't need those for clients!

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I never do extra work for less money...., doesn't seem to be a good business plan. I will sometimes give breaks to good customers that have proven to be just that, but it is things such as throw in driftwood for free or add frills to the mount such as extra habitat materials to the finished mount, if I have them laying around that is. If you give breaks up front to new customers, they will expect it and if they send anyone else your way then they will expect it. Did I mention that no one that asks for a discount gets one.

8. Bryan Russell

X2

9. Bryan Russell

Also X2

10. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

If you are doing a 13" perch for $130 and they still want a discount I would tell them to go elsewhere. Dont send them around the corner, they really won't like my prices lol. Again, maybe you should. That way they will really appreciate your prices.

11. Thanks for the replys guys, I know what your talking about with with those customers, I had a guy about 15 years ago talk me down in my price and it turned out he was the worst customer I had in 38 years of doing this, this guy was a pain in my ass, I also had a guy last year and ask if he brought me 3 walleyes if he and his friends could get a deal and I told him no, well it ends up he brought me a walleye but his friends didn't and it took me months for this guy to pick his fish up, like you said the people that want deals are the ones I can live without. the guy i'am dealing with now is a good guy but might have to tell him i'll give him a little break but the others have to pay.

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That's the highest # I would (and have) thrown at them too - no less or you'll be regretting it! And just between us girls (for me), all things being equal I actually save time and make more money at that 10% discount vs. processing 12 other customers at full price...

13. Gus I just might send him your way lol the guy I had trouble with last year I think you know he worked at Hicks and now he's a teacher at beecher. I guess it's time to raise my prices, if it wasn't for this G.M. pension I'd go broke haha

14. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Yup, i figured that was who you were talking about.

15. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

This JUST happened to me last night. Dude wrote me, said he was thinking of getting about six bass done. Said he liked my work. I just raised my prices by $2 per inch this year so I told him that I'd give him my last yrs price (I didn't tell him I'd just raised my prices) Just told him I'd give him the discount. As I expected once he saw the price he backed down. Two of his fish were 11 lbs and 12 lbs with bigger bellies. He said that the problem with repros are the tails are usually too small. So I sent him some pics of several choices and he picked them apart pretty good, tail too small, belly didn't look right....so oh well. I think the real problem is the price. I think it worked out to about $1700. I didn't have too much hope to begin with but I agree with Marty, I never assume my client doesn't have the money.