1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First mammal mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by bigbucks, Jan 30, 2015.

1. bigbucks

bigbucks Member

My 11 year old boy is getting ready to mount his first muskrat. Do u guys recomnend sending it in to get it tanned, a brush on tan or dry preservative? HE wants to do it the right way. Also, do the front teeth always show?

2. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

No help yet ? I Too started at 11. That was a couple years ago but still remember the excitement. I don't know the experience level with his help so we'll keep it simple. Go with the dry preserve (rub it in well). A commercial form that fits loose. An artificial tail. Black bubble eyes. About any kind of clay for the feet. The Teeth don't always show , or you can use the real top teeth and show just a little. Don't over do the teeth. Have fun with it !

3. bigbucks

bigbucks Member

Thanks for the info. its a smaller albino muskrat so I am going to have to do some altering. I sent it in to get tanned. I hope that wasn't overkill.

4. nina5150

nina5150 Active Member

Wile the skin is at the tanners.have him search threw youtube for videos on mounting.it will give him a visual aid on how to do things like hydrating tanned skins,turning the lip skin,tucking and the ears,and what not.it will give him time to get the things he needs if he does not have them all ready. a commercial tan is good.it gives you more work time with out slippage. Good luck.