1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Retirement

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by wayne70, Jan 30, 2015.

1. wayne70

wayne70 Member

Today is my last day of work for the school dist. 21 years. It will be nice to do taxidermy on a full time basis and finally have some time for myself.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Congrats and good luck on the next phase of your journey.

3. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

You'll will love it..... I've been retired now for 2 1/2 years. Congratulations on now having fun.

4. 3 years for me now. I keep pretty busy.

5. nate

nate Active Member

My granddad always told me.... Its hell being retired, you never get a day off!! ;D ;D

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I always find it funny that we say when I retire I will do taxidermy full time, kinda not retiring. Taxidermy is not easy, hard to see close up, back and hands hurts, your getting old, LOL.

7. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Congratulations! 21yrs at the same job is an accomplishment in these times of headhunting and downsizing. Enjoy!

Paul may be right - "Taxidermy full time" and "Time for Yourself" aren't compatible ideas from what I read on here. LOL..

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Some time for yourself? Hmmm, don't know when that will be. Tell me in 5 years how that works out. Many times today I wish I had a job that I worked 9 - 5 with weekends off (Not to mention 3 months in the summer) along with sick and "personal" days. I find this job to be 24/7/365. If I'm NOT doing it, I'm feeling guilty about not doing it. And remember, this is a job that you'll NEVER retire from. Al Holmes once remarked that 10 years after you're dead and buried, someone is going to knock on the back door and ask, "Do you still stuff deer here?"

9. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

All the financial advisors say you need around 1 million in pension and personal retirement funds to live a comfortable life after years of working for retirement. I usually spit out what I'm drinking or laugh out loud whenever I hear that. Almost there George? LOL

10. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

I was just looking at financial calculators the other day. If a person wants to retire in their late fifties, that really is the figure they come up with.

11. Man I was hope you were done with taxidermy. Lol need more deer to come my way enjoy the new chapter in your life.

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Congratulations Wayne70! I've been retired for almost 10 years. As George said, you will work yourself to death if you're not careful. It's impossible for me to have any quality time from mid-Dec through the end of January, taking in 300 deer plus other assorted specimens...but I love it anyway!

13. Congrats. I look forward to the same in 2 years 4 months!

14. wayne70

wayne70 Member

First day after retirement I prepped 2 deer for painting, skinned and fleshed a coyote and set 2 sets of antlers to mount. Not counting cleaning up 12-14 inches of snow. I even had supper at 5:00, this could be ok.

15. Congratulations, I have 6 months, 29 days, and 32 hours LOL not counting. Please take time for yourself and family.

Andrew

16. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Awesome! Sometimes my wife and I have to pinch ourselves to believe we made it to this point!

17. I have been a FT taxidermist for many years. But I still remember how much i hated the factory life when i was young, still thankful for the 7 day, 70 hour weeks I work in taxidermy today. My son and daughter, wife and grandkids all work together in taxidermy and make our entire living off it. Ill expire before i retire i guess. Good luck to you folks who will get to put all your efforts into your business after retirement, its a good thing.

18. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

1re·tire·ment
    noun \ri-ˈtī(-ə)r-mənt\

: the act of ending your working or professional career : the act of retiring

: the state of being retired

: the period after you have permanently stopped your job or profession

Hmmmm, doing taxidermy will be the last thing on my mind when I truly retire! (And George, they can't keep knockin' if you MOVE - lol!)

"Late 50's"??? YIKES!!! That shouldn't be a problem - My problem is I'm trying to figure out how to last that long!!! (And/or how to expedite matters to get to my pie quicker than "late 50's" - I need a bigger "pie" lol!)