1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dakota 5 fleshing machine

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by dolanprocell, Jan 30, 2015.

1. dolanprocell

dolanprocell New Member

How do you keep hide from falling down on the pulley and screwing up things so bad you have to stop unbolt the motor take the belt off get the hide out of the pulley put everything back together and start again for 20 minutes and having to stop and do all that all over again because another piece of hide fell on your pulley again.

2. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Back when I had a Dak/5 I had a coat hanger that I bent the end like a fish hook and sharpened to a sharp point and fished out the shavings when they got tangled up.

3. Steve W

Steve W Member

ohio
    Like Gunner said. I take a pc of wire that you would use in bird wings and stick down into the pulley. I can usually get it loose with a couple of pokes with the wire. Many times when i have that happen i can turn the machine off. Just as its coasting to a stop if i flip the switch back on it will often times throw the piece of skin out of the pulley. Bad design for sure but have to work with what i have for now

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

UNPLUG MACHINE FIRST!!! I have a straight piece of #6 wire about 3' long used to slip down to the bottom pulley. Hold it against the top side of the pulley and rotate the blade. Any debris will become un-lodged in a rotation or two.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Buy a Dakota Pro.

6. Here is a simple modification I made to my Dakota 4. Took about 45 min. to build and install. Have not had a piece of hide in the pulley since I put this on. Vandyke should offer a kit like this.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,336977.msg2305117.html#msg2305117

Trapper Carter likes this.
  7. Yep...same thing I did with my Dakota 5 a few years back...works like a charm.

8. ttt

9. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Stop buying a cheap machine! yes that maybe all you can afford but being here you could look up at all the not so good things about this product being said. My buddy did the same thing, told hiom before hand use my eager beaver or flesh-all till you save up the money. lol pope wasted his money and two years later bought the pro.
    Why do you or should modify a product to aid you. Dang should something happen, not worth it!

Jim johnsen likes this.
  10. Guess if I did it for a living,, I'd have the best. For a part time / Hobby this works just fine. Thanks for your input tho!!

11. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

ps my friend is a hobbyist also. lol

12. Trapper Carter

Trapper Carter New Member

Iowa