1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anything to help beginner college student

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by tylerflip, Jan 31, 2015.

1. tylerflip

tylerflip New Member

I am new to taxidermy, doing a few full size mounts on smaller mammals, euro mounts, and a few rugs. With me being in college at this time it is hard for me to get out hunting to obtain these creatures to mount. I am looking for anything that someone is willing to help out a new taxidermist with for little to no cost.(i have no problem paying reasonable shipping costs) I have only done mammals and am looking to eventually get into fish and birds. I am located in central PA at school and Orange County NY is where home is. If i could meet up with someone to save on shipping costs that would be even better. A PM on here would be the best way to get in touch with me. Thank you in advance!

Tyler

2. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there! I am currently a 3rd year wildlife ecology student at the University of Maine, and have been a taxidermist for about 11 years now (believe it or not). I understand your issue with obtaining animals while at college. I'm unable to directly help you, but I can offer you the advice that there may still be some ways to obtain animals that I have figured out. Almost regardless of the area you are in, some wildlife harvest is legal. Even while I'm here at school, I talked to some local landowners and stakeholders, and got permission for a few minor, easy trapping spots for weasels, muskrats, beavers, mink, and other easy to trap cool taxidermy critters. There are also many small ponds and streams in every area where you can get perch or bass, which is a great fish to start off with. Even some local pet stores may be able to help you out (not with cats and dogs and creepy stuff, but canarys and other not weird critters). I also volunteer at a local horse barn here that occasionally provides me with opportunities for pigeons and starlings. I hope this helps a bit, and goodluck!

Chippers and Robert Baker like this.

3. vincentmosier

vincentmosier New Member

Obtaining animals while in college sounds impossible to me at the moment. Even if I find a good supplier I doubt my roommates will understand my work... How do you solve this problem. I live in Canada, the University of British Columbia.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Concentrate on your studies while in college. There will be plenty of opportunities for taxidermy after you graduate. I took a ten year break from taxidermy when I was in college. Afterwards, I had a demanding career, a growing family, and very little time to devote to taxidermy.

5. Chippers

Chippers Active Member

Just started my last year (Fish & Wildlife Mgt), it's tough at first. Gets easier as you make connections. I still buy most of my specimens, but I've been slowly networking with trappers, ranchers, and breeders nearby to get cheap specimens. Taxidermy sure ain't cheap, but it can help to apprentice with someone local. Like Joey said though, don't let it distract from your studies. I made that mistake for 2 years and I've been working hard to dig my GPA out of a pit.

6. Chippers

Chippers Active Member

Do you have a private room? I was lucky enough to have one, so I ended up buying a small freezer and just working in my room. My roommates knew I did taxidermy but seemed cool with it. It might help to discuss with them that you're doing it to bring beauty back to that animal. If you don't have freezer space, maybe start with dry tanned skins and rehydrate them when ready to mount.

7. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    I was a college student/taxidermist in the late 60s. I had access to one of the biology labs and that worked out well for me. You might check on something like that, maybe contributing something to the department might be incentive. I started by doing some 'restoration' on some bird mounts.

Hope that provides some fodder for thought......jerry

8. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

Listen to Joey!!