1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

TaxiShop users. . . .need opinions, good and bad.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Michelle_Nelson, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I bought QuickBooks Pro2015 last week. It is a royal pain in the butt trying to learn. More stuff than then I really need.

I want some back ground on TaxiShop by Tom McNeal. I want to hear the Goods and Bads. Who uses it? If you prefer to PM me with your thoughts that is fine.

2. juli

juli Active Member

I'd be interested in info on taxi shop as well... From a bookkeeping perspective more than anything else.

3. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

WE LOVE IT!! Of course we haven't ever used anything else. We just started our business last year. We met Tom at the Nationals in Baton Rouge and knew we had to get something. After his presentation we were hooked. It was still 6 months before we purchased the software. Tom personalizes everything. Your work orders, statements, envelopes, it's all got your logo or other schemes that really makes everything look professional. As with any computer program, YOU HAVE TO PUT THE INFORMATION IN! I can search by customer, species, location, date, completed or not....the searches are endless. We are NOT "computer" people, by any means. I usually handle imputing the information and taking information from new customers, but even if I'm not there Randy can easily get on the computer and get the info in. As far as the book keeping end, I can filter for total expenses, advertising etc. When I put in my receipts, I choose what to "label" it as IE; Shop Expenses, Advertising etc. These are categories I choose. Its really easy once you get the hang of it. As far as "cons" I had trouble being able to email invoices/ completion notices directly to customers from the program, but after a couple of short conversations with Tom.... no problem. If you have any questions, I'm sure Tom would love to answer them. I'm not sure if he gets on here?

4. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

BrookeSFD16,

Can you itemize Receipts?

For Example: If I go to say "Home Depot", and I buy a Sawzall (Equipment), Bondo (Material), and say Lacquer Thinner (Supply). All these Items are put on 1 receipt. Can I Split the receipt and put each Item in the category it belongs? So when I run the Report, the cost of each Item goes into it's own category?

5. Tom McNeal

Tom McNeal Member

Thanks Brooke! I appreciate your recommendations and your nice comments about TAXIshop! Perhaps other TAXIshop users will chime in too?

Hi Michelle! I'm hoping you received the information I sent you a week or two ago when you first asked about TAXIshop. I must say that many of the TAXIshop systems I build are for taxidermists who've already tried Quickbooks and found it too difficult to teach Quickbooks about this one-of-a-kind business of taxidermy.

And the answer to your question above on expenses is "Absolutely!" I highly recommend breaking down your expenses in this way to make things a breeze at tax time.

The expense categories you create can be exactly the same categories you'll use on the IRS Schedule C Profit and Loss statement. Your TAXIshop expense report for the year will then break out, sort, and itemize each expense with totals and subtotals for each of your business expense categories. Nothing could be easier.

And Michelle, Juli... If you haven't already, please have a look at the TAXIshop website for a good summary of TAXIshop's many features and capabilities. Please also feel free to email or give me a call directly if you have any additional questions or if I can be of service.

Tom McNeal
    Maker of TAXIshop
    Custom software for your taxidermy shop! Since 1995.

www.TAXIshop.net
    [email protected]
    630-961-9637

6. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Yeah....what he said!

7. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I've had taxishop since 2008 and absolutely love it! Now if I would just enter my expense receipts on a timely basis I'd be all set! That's my fault of course.

8. I use my own excel program for bookkeeping, but taxishop is invaluable to me for running monthly reports and day to day for customer invoices. Sales, receipts, backlogs, and much more, it does most of what most people use quickbooks for and for less money. It would be impossible to run my studio without it. Your computer must have MS Access unless Tom has changed things since my last update.
    Thats another good thing... I have been reading in the forums that other taxidermy software writers are difficult to reach once you have paid them. Tom answers his messages.

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Six lined sheets of paper in a folder and it's all you need. Staple an envelope to each sheet and put the receipts in them after you enter them on the sheet. COMPUTERS.....YAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!

10. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    I have been using the program for 2 years and now I could not run my shop with out it. I really love all of the reports that you can run which helps me keep track of all my monies and well as what animal that needs to be done next. It is truly amazing what Tom has done with this program. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you have and i will answer them the best I can. I use this program fron to back ever day.

11. Tom McNeal

Tom McNeal Member

Thanks again to all who posted favorable comments about TAXIshop I appreciate your recommendations and taking the time to share your experiences with TAXIshop.

I must though correct one misperception of Mark's. You DO NOT NEED Microsoft Access in order to run TAXIshop! TAXIshop will interact with and make use of certain Microsoft Office and Access components if they happen to be already installed on your computer. If the required components are not already installed on your computer, the TAXIshop setup program will install everything it needs to run.

And for the record JL....

RE: "COMPUTERS..... and YAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!"

... just between you and me, sometimes I feel the same way!!!

Tom McNeal
    Maker of TAXIshop

12. Bob Mead

Bob Mead Mead Taxidermy Studio, LLC

Been using Taxishop for several years...couldn't run the studio without it. Two thumbs way up, plus Tom is always available to help with any questions we have had. I highly recommend his product!! ;D

13. Ive been using Taxi Shop since 2001, And all I have to say if your not using it you should be. Tom is also been more than helpful in the last 14 yrs although I have had zero problems with the system ,only time I had questions was on changing computers BUY IT BUY IT!!

14. BRIAVALA

BRIAVALA New Member

Could I ask what type of computer everyone uses?? Brand? Type? :)
    Thank You!