1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Removing lacquer paint from hair

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Safari12, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Safari12

Safari12 Member

I have always used water based paint for finish work, however I have also had trouble with paint rubbing off when I clean over spray. I always wipe around eyes, ears, etc before I paint. I am kicking the idea of switching to laquers, my question is how easy or hard is it to get out of the hair.?

2. It comes off hair better than water base

3. X2 on that. I recently switched myself and I like lacquer A LOT better. Seems to spray better too

4. X3 Lacquer will come off the hair a lot better. Just use a soft dry terry cloth in a circular motion to take off the over spray.

5. Safari12

Safari12 Member

Done deal.. Thanks for the input. Will be making the switch tomorrow.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Safari, are you familiar with hairspray. That's lacquer. You get it out of your hair by brushing. I keep a soft bristle "baby brush" in my shop just for that purpose. Now where the hair is very short, like around the nares of eyelids, I will use a Q-tip dipped in lacquer thinner to wipe away overspray, but a brush works in most places. The softer the brush, the better.

7. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Soft tooth brush on face

8. Bill LaCoe

Bill LaCoe New Member

Good advice has been given, I also use a small brass for ear hair and a nylon rifle brush (22_24 cal.) for the nostrils.