1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtan special Whitetail Formula question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dmac1175, Feb 2, 2015.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I posted this in the tanning section but I'm needing an answer tonight hopefully. Doing a rush job on a whitetail shoulder mount and I turned cape tonight and measured out krowtan and only have 6 ounces when it calls for 8 oz. Does anyone know if 6oz. Will properly tan the cape?

2. Steve W

Steve W Member

ohio
    I'd say if you can get away with maybe 2 gallons of water and get good coverage of the cape you should be fine. Just make sure you stir cape so you get all parts of the cape exposed to the solution.

3. KFLAH

KFLAH Active Member

I recently had the same problem... Seemed to work out OK for me. I just made sure to flip it and agitate it more often than usual. Hope it works outout for you too.

Kevin

4. I tan 4 deer capes per 8 oz the last cape is as good as the first so instead of 4 per bottle as instructions say I do 16 with a bottle

5. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Hunter, do you mean that you make an 8 oz solution with 2.5 gallons plus the 64 oz. of water and put in a single cape at a time until you have ran 4 capes through the same batch before you make a new batch?

Thanks for all replies.

6. TomR

TomR New Member

Just adjust your ratios of salt and water per the recipe to accommodate what you have left. You should be fine as long as the ratios stay true to the recipe

7. Yes I mix a batch following instructions on the bottle then I will tan 4 deer capes with it before I make another batch

8. Wouldn't most of the tanning oils be absorbed by the first cape. I would think capes 2 thru 4 are pickled, but little tan in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I read that as long as you keep your pH at the right level you should be good. put I to would wonder about how good the tan would be on every thing else.

10. Rick Slife

Rick Slife Member

I've used krowtann for the past few years and have only had one issue. Had a really big cape that started slipping as I was doing my final fleshing. I called the guys at ozark to get their opinion on why they thought I was having an issue when I never had any problems in the past. He thought that the standard amount of krowtann probably wasn't enough for a cape that size.( I think it was 8x28) he said I should have probably used 10-12 oz. in that case I'd be leery of using less than the recommended amount or number of hides.

11. Jason L

Jason L New Member

Going against the directions is asking for trouble in my opinion. Alot of people tweek the recipe and the end result isn't good then they start hating on krowtann.its a good product if you follow the directions.