1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

uncontrolable hair

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Manderscheidt, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

Sorry, but I have no pictures so my description will have to do.

I just finished a mount yesterday that looks really bad. It was my own deer, so at least I won't have to be ashamed to hand it over to someone else. It was a professionally wet-tanned cape that was handled exactly like all the other deer I have ever done. The only difference was that it took like 10 months for the tannery to get me the cape back, but I don't know if being frozen that long should have mattered or not. After thawing I put it in a bucket of dawn and water (room temp, maybe 65 degrees) for about 20 minutes before rinsing off with cooler water. Then I let it hang and drip dry for maybe ten minutes before addressing the final prep on the eyes, lips, nose, before putting the ear liners in.

Here is the problem.

First of all, it had all of its hair when I sent it to the tannery. When I put it together it was missing areas of hair around the mouth, like 4-5 spots. I have done maybe a 100 or so mounts over the years and have never had this problem before.

Second, their are a number of problem areas with the rest of the hair. Some places it is curling sideways. Spots of the face won't comb even. When I was putting the earliners in I couldn't even get all the hair of the back of the ears to lay down flat, they too wanted to curl up.

I realize that without a pic it is harder to give a good guess, but what might be biggest problem be? Other than the hair that totally slipped, is the rest slippage too? Because the ears especially do not seem to have slipped, the hair just wants to curl. The same goes for the hair on the shoulders and the side of the face. It doesn't seem to be slipped in my amateur opinion, just "twisted" for lack of a better term.

2. Could have been too hot of a pickle. I've seen it especially on antelope capes where the ph is to low and will curl the hair. Could also be over tanning the cape.

3. Brush it over with wet potters clay until the mount is dry.

4. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    I agree the ph on the pickle was too low

5. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

Thanks for the responses. I don't have any potters clay (will need to get some for the future), so I used hair gel instead. I doubt that it will work as well, but its what I had on hand. For now it is holding most of the hair more or less in place, but I have little faith that it will make more than a marginal difference.

6. I saw this happen a couple of times before and both times it took place in the neutralizing process. The problem could have been in the pickle, but the hair wasn't wavy until after the neutralizing bath.

7. I run into the same issue once in a while. I have heard improper neutralizing, pickle, etc and all I know is I tan in batches of three capes usually. Always have done things the same...same products and procedures. One thing that caught my attention was not enough solution to allow the hides to float free not bunched up. My own personal curiosity is, since I tan in batches and only have this happen on occassion, is I wonder if the hair was about to slip and when applied to the tan the pores tightened up and the hairs twisted. It is an odd situation and I just can't figure it out. If it happened to all my hides I could see an error in the process, but to have it happen infrequently it just doesn't make sense. Best of luck.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Curly hair is the early stage of slip. While in the pickle, and before neutralizing, you can see the curly hair while in the pickle if you look for it. Baking soda doesn't curl it, or the whole cape would be curly, and acid with to low of pH will not curl hair either. If that myth was true, the whole cape would be "acid burnt" and not just a spot or two.

9. Nice input Low-T. I was thinking that could be the only possibility, as it is not the whole cape, nor does it occur on every cape inthe same batch. Not much we can do to resolve the situation, as it was probably a field care issue on the hunters part prior to bring the deer in. Nice to see that I wasn't the only one thinking the slip theory. Take care.