1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish and Avian Challenges at the World Taxidermy and Fish Carving Championships?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 1fish2fish, Feb 3, 2015.

1. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Couldn't find them in the catagories at the WTC site online. Am I overlooking these events or are they history?
    Best, Scott

2. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

The fish challenge is cancelled due to low participation. I don't know about the avian.

3. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I don't see either on the web site

4. 1fish2fish

Thanks Don,
    I knew there were some misgivings about participation (amongst other things) last time around. I really hoped these challenges would weather the storm. I feel they present the most level playing field for a taxidermy challenge; and was hoping the adversity
    of the last event would lead to greater incentives to compete in and promotions of the event rather than it's discontinuation. Personally, I really anticipated the publication of the challenge reference and the subsequent pictures of show entries. Rhetorically, I wonder if it is something that could be revived with the right sponsorship.
    Best, Scott

5. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

I was sent a copy of the rules for the carving competition recently to proofread since I'd been involved in re-writing some of them. All the other rules for the taxidermy competition were attached and I do remember the fish challenge was dropped. I don't remember reading about the bird challenge though either way.

6. 1fish2fish

Thanks again for the info. What a shame though.
    Best, Scott

7. Did anyone check the website. I read last week where both were dropped due to lack of participation.

8. Lack of participation or increased complaining and B/S from some of the ones that didn't win???

9. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

BINGO! That's my vote.

10. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

How about a total lack of comprehension of the rules by the judging staff. They were spelled out on black and white.
    To quote a well respected and knowledgeable fish taxidermist,who was actually there, " it was a f ing joke".

So you guys were fishing for a response, there it is.

11. 1fish2fish

I just wanted to know whether or not the challenges were going to happen Paul. I already had the response I was fishing for from Don. I really liked these events, it was a great concept. It's a shame they weren't supported more strongly in practice, and have gone under as a result.
    Best, Scott

12. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

I wasn't fishing, but knew the sucker would eventually take the bait.

13. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Your intelligence shines in that comment.

14. Harum

Harum Active Member

I thought the concept of this challenge was right up my alley, so to speak. The competitor was given a 2 dimensional reference picture that they could duplicate and if viewed from a single perspective would lend itself well to flat art. What keep me from entering a piece was the lack of a medallion for the accomplishment and the fact that it wasn’t actually viewed from a single perspective.

Jimmy, Joking I’m sure, but I highly respect Paul’s abilities and would never refer to him as a sucker. I’m just saying…

-Pete