1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ulu knife

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Deerman, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Someone said that you can find these at Wal-Mart- I have looked in two super stores with no sucess. If you have found them at Wal Mart, which section did you find them in? I have been looking with the kitchen knives - I know I can order one online but I am trying to find one local right now. Thanks

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

I'm pretty sure one of the trapping supply companies carry an Ulu...saw it in a catalog, Just can't remember the name. If you do an internet search I bet you could find it.

3. jennifer

jennifer New Member

I love Ulu knives. I use them every day in my kitchen. Go to ulu.com and see what you get or google ulu. I dont know how I use to function without my ulu.

4. Schmitty

Schmitty New Member

MN
    i picked one up in Wal-Mart, was in the kitchen utensile isle with the knives

5. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I bought one in WalMart and its one of the best tools I have. Works great for fleshing and it was cheap! I don't think it was called an Ulu knife though so if you're asking by that name they may not know what you're talking about. It was in the kitchen utensils area.

MLP

6. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    would it be called a chop knife? with a black plastic handle - that's the closes thing i saw that looked like one

7. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

The ULU Factory (800) 488-5592

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Call McKenzie. It's item number 450037 (from John Rinehart) and it costs $15.90

9. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I won mine at the Salmon derby in Anchorage about 5 years ago for catching the heaviest fish of the day, 41.4 lbs, I got it in the mail about a year later with my name engraved on it any everything... Looks to pretty to use so it just collects dust. However online you can go to the ULU factory in anchorage and by them, hundreds of different types of handles, etc...

Ulu Factory in Anchorage, AK. ... Ulu Factory

211 Ship Creek Ave, Anchorage, AK - (907)276-3119 -

www.theulufactory.com

10. RobinK

RobinK New Member

eplers trapping supply has them there the real ones

11. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Get some good steel . There are a lot of them out there that are just for looking at and wont hold an edge.

12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I couldn't make mine work. Just kept slicing thru. Would be nasty to use in self defense!

13. George

Livbucks, turn it over. It's only sharpened on one side. The beveled edge goes down and you pull the knife towards you like you'r scraping paint. Rolls the fat off a bear like butter and on hogs, it takes a bit more horsepower, but does the same thing. On a sow pig, it works better than anything on the market.

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

George,
    I was pushing it away from my body on the beam. You mean to curl your wrist and draw it toward you? I never tried that. I'm not sure which way the bevel was. I probably tried both ways. It put some nice cuts in my cape, and not much else.

15. When you pull it towards you dont let it slip and hit you below the belt or you will be ulu-lost-it.

16. George

For fleshing purposes, the ulu is designed to be held in the fingers with the blade resting on the butt of the hand. This allows you to rotate the fingers and apply pressure to the blade as necessary. I keep mine razor sharp and I wear an apron. Darrell is correct about allowing it to slip, but if the blade begins to hang for any reason, stop and find the reason instead of pressuring the knife.

17. mrb

mrb New Member

on the ulu knives. the knives of Alaska have great stainless steel and are very sharp. I have 2 one for the shop and the other one is for the kitchen. Wouldn't use any thing else on hogs but it,works great on deer also. ;D

18. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Thanks for all the replies,, I ended up using one on my hunting knifes, I ordered one on those fleshing knifes out on McKenzie with the two handles on each end but I could never get It sharp enough to flesh with, I know you have to have it on a certain angle but I never could get it to flesh much, I got tired on waiting on my Ulu knife to arrive go I got my hunting knife out and sharpened it and dove in, It was hard but I got It done and it is in the tanning solution now, I will get to try the Ulu on the next one ;D l