1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Artificial Whitetail skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by deeter73, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Hi guys, quick question. I had a customer give me a set of antlers he wanted mounted on an artificial skull. The antlers came off a plaque mount done years ago which he grew bored of. I bought an artificial skull from a supplier and just find it "to white" to look natural. I'd like it yellowed off a bit, just wondering if any of you have done anything like this. Thinking maybe lightly airbrush a bit of colour on it and steel wool it off? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

2. [​IMG]

The process is called a wash.
    I paint the finished skull with a satin ivory white pray can paint.
    then use rubbing alcohol and brush-on wipe off antler paint raw umber, about 2 drop in one ounce of alcohol.
    bush this all over the skull and wipe off, you can repeat if you want it darker.
    need to seal with flat clear when dry.
    The picture is of a whitetail deer European skull by Pinchback size Large.
    Hope that helps.
    Marshell

Whitetail Wizzard likes this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Have to say that is the first time I have seen a repro skull that I have liked the look of it.

4. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Wow-

That's actually impressive! Most repros I have seen look like junk even from 20 feet away.

You did an amazing job!

5. I have a new one on the market called the "Counterfeit", it comes with teeth. comes in 3 different sizes.
    and yes your right in saying most artificial skulls on the market look fake from 10 feet away.
    I just can't get any respect because people don't think these are fake, they think there real!
    They come unpainted for $67.00 for the large, for $10.00 more I will paint them.
    Marshell Pinchback
    501-416-7585
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sea Wolf

Very nice Marshell. Can't say that I've seen anything this nice looking. Do they come with instructions for painting? Have to say that your paint job looks worth it for the $10 in time it would save someone from fussing with it.

7. Here is the low down on the paint job:
    Krylon Satin dover white, is the old name on the paint can,
    Krylon now sell it under the name MAXX Ivory, satin.
    Spray the paint very light on the skull for the first coat of paint this will make the next coat stick better,
    to much paint on the first coat will cause the paint to separate or egg shell on you.
    then paint a second coat, cover evenly. Allow it to dry, if your doing the full skull, with teeth.
    paint the bottom first and the inside of the eye area. then turn it over and repeat on the top or show side.
    After it is dry. Using Brush-on Wipe-off antler paint, I sell it of course. two drops of raw umber and 2 drops of black into
    a cup with 1 ounce of rubbing alcohol. mix this well and using a inch paint brush cover the entire skull, wipe off what you don't want.
    you can repeat this step if you wiped to much off. allow it to dry and seal with Krylon Clear Flat or mate finish. Rubbing alcohol can be used
    if it's too dark to wash off and start over before you seal it.
    The teeth are just the raw umber straight on with a small flat paint brush, cover them completely then wipe away from the skull using a dry rag,
    this will keep from getting the raw umber on the side of the skull, let dry and clear coat. now you just saved $10.00, I do recommend this
    step after you attach your antlers. Here is another tip: use oil base clay around the base of the antler to keep the spray
    paint from bleeding up the antlers, makes clean up real easy.
    Marshell

8. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Marshell-

If you want more respect, maybe you should make them look more fake!

LoL

Seriously I like the one with the teeth molded in. Glad to know that there actually are great reproduction skulls out there!!!

9. AH7

AH7 New Member

Really nice Marshell!

Definitely worth the $10 to have you do it right.

As an obsessed skull guy, I'd darken the rostral fenestra (the holes infront of the orbits) a bit more or even try to punch through them a bit (though that's more work then $10!), as those are the most consistent give-away with a fake skull.

10. WOW Marshell, those skulls are AWESOME! Wayyyy better than what I had to buy, and since I'm in Canada, I paid almost $100.00 between cost of skull, freight and brokerage charges! Needless to say, my artificial skull have no teeth and looks like blah which is why I was asking on any advise to "help" it look better. I will definitely keep you in mind if I get another job like this come in again. Thanks for your painting advise, i'll give it a try and see what happens.

11. I've got the "counterfeit skull" in Moose, Elk, Caribou and 3 sizes in Whitetail Deer.
    Working on other species as well, so give me a call and see what I'm working on maybe I have what you need.
    I will ship anywhere.
    Marshell Pinchback
    501-416-SKUL (7585)

12. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    can you post a picture head on,hoping the nasal isnt pluged off to close to the outside

13. Here are two pictures, not sure which head on you wanted: hope these help. Marshell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    thats nice,,i would recommend these in a heart beat

15. Sea Wolf

Marshell, I looked at the skulls for sale on a website. Curious about the moose. Is there a complete upper half moose with the teeth .. like the deer?

16. the Counterfeit moose skull is the complete upper 1/2 just like the deer skull, meaning with teeth.
    I don't have a picture of it right now but I'll get one and post it here maybe as early as tomorrow.
    it sell for $168.00 and comes with detachable pegs and and Allen wrench.

Marshell

17. Here are the pictures of the Counterfeit Moose skull, one is with pedicals and is detachable ready, the other we call the convertible style, some people call it a slotted skull.
    Also a picture of the underside of the skull showing the teeth, and finally a picture showing the set screw location for the detachable system.
    They are shown unfinished/unpainted, just out of the box.
    Any Question or orders just call me at 501-416-SKUL (7585) Marshell

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Anybody know if Marshell is still around?

19. Deerman

Deerman Member

SC
    Never mind, I found him.

20. Sea Wolf

As you found, he's still active. Maybe he can edit those posts above and restore the pictures. :)