1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mountain goat tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andrews Taxidermy Studio, Feb 9, 2015.

1. I recently bought a mountain goat cape from a member on here. It has been salted for approx. 1 Year.
    I re-hydrated in water, salt, & Lysol. It re-hydrated in 5 hours. I washed it in Purox (laundry Soap) & cold water.
    Rinsed very well and put it in a Oxalic Acid Pickle.
    This is my first mountain goat tan, but I have been tanning everything for 29 years with Oxalic acid & Lutan-f.
    My question, It feels Leathery, is that how they are, skin composition wise.
    I'm waiting on Kemal-4 and Super solve Degreaser.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Andrew

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

If I was tanning for 29 years I would know by now that Lysol has a high Ph value and will cause slippage. It no longer had phenol in it and is useless in this industry. I've done goats and no it really doesn't feel like that so not sure what's going on other than your method for hydrating a skin. Not trying to be a Pr here but I would recheck my hydrating issues.

3. Thanks for the reply Frank. I have read a lot of your posts on here, very informative.
    I used the Lysol because the cape was bloody and quite dirty, (same for laundry detergent)
    I pH tested the Lysol, salt, H2o and added acid until I reached a 6 - slightly acidic. safety zone.
    It did have that leathery feel after re-hydration, It appeared to be fully hydrated.
    Should this cape have the same feel as say, a whitetail or more like a coyote feel.
    It is looking good in the pickle.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Goats have their own feel to them for their not as thick as a deer but not like a yote lol. It's in between very hard to explain. They do get shaved but like all capes be gentle. Glad it's looking good and degrease well you need to get that lanolin out.

5. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Laundry detergent, lysol....Ticking time bomb for slip.

Any action you had hoped to gain by doctoring the lysol, which indeed has a high pH, with salt and acid were negated. Lysol is an emulsion. Emulsions are broken when salt, acid or other solutes are added to solution..

I like to call it alchemy.

Good luck with the goat.

6. Thanks, first goat, unfamiliar feel to cape.
    Would you recommend a separate degreaser bath or super solve in the pickle.

Andrew

7. Thanks Cyclone, Lesson learned. luckily I didn't have any slip.
    It sure cleaned the cape. nice and white.
    Impatient - next time I will wait for Kemal-4,bactericide,degreaser.

Alchemy---- I was born in 1965. LOL

Andrew

8. cyclone

;)

9. cyclone

From the Lysol MSDS:

10. Stability and Reactivity

Conditions to avoid
    Avoid high temperatures.
    DO NOT MIX WITH BLEACH or use in conjunction with other household products.

Incompatible materials
    Caustics. Acids. Oxidizers.

Hazardous decomposition products
    May include and are not limited to: Oxides of carbon.

Possibility of hazardous reactions
    Hazardous polymerization does not occur.

http://www.plunketts.net/docs/msds/lysol-m-2.pdf