1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

calking and turkey mounts

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by buckrub10, Feb 10, 2015.

1. buckrub10

buckrub10 Well-Known Member

What does everyone use silicone or reg acrylic calk for turkey backs and chest

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Liquid nail

3. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

I use regular acrylic caulk. I may be wrong but I think one of the problems is silicon caulk will cure fast when exposed to borax.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

From my research, 100% silicone is used on the back to quickly and permanently hold the saddle feathers erect with no hanging upside down or carding. The acrylic caulk sets up slowly and used as a hide paste and filler. That's how it was explained in some of my videos, and from my reading, so that's what I have used it for.

5. capnmike

capnmike New Member

I use silicone on the hackles and scaps and Alex plus latex/silicone on the breast. After I set the hackles with the silicone I hang upside down for about 10 minutes and they are pretty much set. The Alex plus gives a much longer working time. Like close to a week.

6. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

silicone + borax = rubber ball in seconds but it has it's uses .Quick set is sometimes needed.

7. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

100% silicone for me. Only recommend it if your good with a two hour working window.

8. capnmike

capnmike New Member

X2 birds only. You gotta know where your going to put those feathers

9. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I do agree drake man and iI don't think its wrong if that's what works for you.however I do like silicone to get the feathers on the back to stand without a lot of baby sitting. That is the only area that I will use the silicone though.

10. jimss

jimss Active Member

I noticed on website that someone was using spray in can expandable foam for setting feathers. Has anyone ever tried that? He uses that set up for mounting turkey decoys that are used in the field. I'm not sure if they would hold up better with the foam rather than silicone or if there would be any advantages to expandable foam.

11. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

That expandable foam would be an absolute mess and really bad idea. You can't control it. Just my thoughts but try if you like.

12. buckrub10

buckrub10 Well-Known Member

X-2 on the foam ,

13. tim martin

tim martin New Member

I use Loc-Tite PL500 landscape glue for my shingled back feathers and thigh patches and Alex -plus acrylic caulk for the rest of the bird. PL500 is nice and stout and gives you a day or 2 of working time.

14. farmer89

farmer89 New Member

how long of a working time does liqua nail give? thats what tim jordan uses in his video

15. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I spoke to Tim Jordan on the phone. At the time of the video he used liquid nail but Liquid Nail changed the ingredients. Tim told me he now uses Power Grab.