1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I need a taxidermist or tannery around Fairbanks Alaska to help withna client

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Mike Powell, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I have a client going on a hunt for Caribou in the Brooks Range, Alaska next August. I am looking for a taxidermist or tannery that might be able to give me a little advise on the most cost effective way to get the cape and antlers cared for, and shipped back to Texas. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Michael, the Brooks Range caribou are going to be in full velvet in August. That one is going to be dicey if your client doesn't have the wherewithall to handle injecting them. If not, he'd better just strip them and get ahead of the game. I'm not familiar with enough of the Fairbanks guys, but I do know that Alpha Fur Dressers in Anchorage would be a hard bunch to beat for tanning the cape. Why don't you give them a call and see if they can be of help.

3. Mike Powell

Thanks George! That was one of the questions I had... about the velvet. I am concerned my client won't be able to cape it out properly much less inject the antlers properly. I'll give Alpha a call and check them out. Thanks again!

4. I have used Pro Taxidermy in Fairbanks, R.J. Simington and was happy with the results. they do an in shop preservation of the velvet!

5. juli

juli Active Member

RJ can take care of your client's cape and antlers. As George mentioned - keeping the velvet preserved in the field is the biggest hurdle...especially in warmer weather. I have toyed around with the idea of selling preserve kits for hunter's to take into the field. Kinda want to get some guinea pigs to give it a try before going gung ho. Injecting isn't rocket science, but you do have to be willing to work at it - specially on antlers as long and big as caribou.

Alpha has ruined hides and capes. I had several skins come back unmountable. Not to say others won't or haven't had issue, because I know people who absolutely love their tan... Once burned, twice shy, I guess... My own personal experience and stories from others led me to choose another tannery. That was several years ago, so maybe they have changed. And I am not altogether certain they are even taking in work, to be honest...

There are other taxis in the fbx area as well. Most taxidermists in alaska dip their antlers to preserve the velvet - it takes a few weeks to be able to ship them.

6. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

Pro taxidermy took care of a moose for me last year. He did a perfect job of turning and salting the cape, built a crate for it and 65" antlers and then facilitated truck to ship to truck to Missouri....

Couldn't have been happier.

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Can also call Kevin at Alaska Precision Taxidermy. He is a member here as well.

http://www.akprecisiontaxidermy.com/

8. Mike Powell

Thanks for the input guys. Now I have something to go with. I'll be making a few calls tomorrow. I do appreciate the help!

9. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If you call Kevin, tell him I sent ya!

10. RJ Simington

RJ Simington Active Member

Give us a call at 907 322 0936 or 541 883 2492.

We can help with ALL of your Expiditing needs.

We also have GREAT success with our Velvet tan , if desired as stated. We DO NOT use Velvet tan sold at Suppliers, or Formaldahide.

By the way , Thanks Guys for the pat on the back.

We have LOTS of references in Texas as well as every other state if needed.

We can Export to Any country in the world.

We CAN meet you at Wrights or Warbelos Air service to pick up your trophies when you arrive , or at your Motel if you are staying over night.

After hours service can be arranged .

We also have a nice show room if you want us to do the mounting.

We have Fantastic discount on shipping from Fairbanks too .

Again Thanks guys, & Good luck hunting.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks 907 322 0936
    or
    PRO Taxidermy Klamath Falls Oregon 541 883 2492

www.protaxidermy.com

Our Email is [email protected]

11. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

RJ has done an excellent job for my customers in the past and we will be using him this year if we luck into some nice bulls on the north slope.

12. 10PTBUCK

10PTBUCK Member

wi
    Al Barrett runs the Fairbanks fur tannery, He is a very helpful person, they do a great job of preserving antlers in velvet, give him a call

todd

13. RJ Simington

RJ Simington Active Member

We are currently scheduling pickups at the Air services in Fairbanks ,so if anyone would like to discuss our services & your arrival dates contact

RJ or Teresa Simington at 907 322 0936.