1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

injecting damaged feet

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JerseyJays, Feb 10, 2015.

1. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

What do you all do when it comes time to inject a bird leg and it's got 2 pellets tore through the toe and leg? Plug with clay and inject?

2. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    what kind of bird is it

3. JerseyJays

Bufflehead

4. vahunter

vahunter New Member

I recently had a bluebill with a similar problem. Broken middle toe and 2 tears at the taurus. I read to plug with clay. All I had was apoxie sculpt so I tried one part only it didn't seem to help much. I decided to coat with silicone caulk and let dry. Injected feet and removed silicone caulk when set up. I did have to reinject a couple spots but the fantastic cast "sealed" the holes up well. Then used apoxie sculpt to fix the holes. Just what worked for me.

5. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    I just looked in the van dyke's catalog and I fond a pair of bufflehead feet on page 319 for 28.80 that's what I would do

6. JerseyJays

I just mounted it todau, just didn't inject them... it's a personal piece, flying with feet against the wall anyway, don't see them.
    just now I know for next time.

7. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

Still wouldnt hurt to try and fix the problem. That way your not hesitant to tackle it when its a customer mount

8. Ken F.

Ken F. Member

Try hot glue then when dry fix with apoxie

9. You can plug holes temporarily with super glue dusted with borax. Inject the feet as normal and then clean with acetone. Fix the damaged areas after dry, you can use hot glue as an impression mold of sorts to blend the apoxie sculpt over the damaged areas.

I always experiment on my own birds and try to tackle challenges so that if I have (or more like when I have...) a bad customer specimen I feel more comfortable.

10. Start up a collection of spare feet. You can never have to many spares!