1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Homemade bird fleshing machines

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by preacher1955, Feb 10, 2015.

1. preacher1955

preacher1955 New Member

Does anyone have any plans for a Bird Fleshing machine?

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I removed a working roof fan from a job and attached a 6 inch brass wheel.. works great. Plexiglass box around it.

3. There are several in the archives. Search the bird forum and you will find several threads. Good luck.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. I use a grinder, you can get them at any hardware store and a plastic storage container, lay it on its side drill a hole in the back for your shaft through attach your wire wheel and your ready to go. Hope this helps.

5. preacher1955

preacher1955 New Member

Thanks everyone I am already started putting it together.

6. jimss

jimss Active Member

I just started a post wondering about using a bench grinder. Harbor freight has some cheap ones that I was thinking of trying? I'm not sure what type of wheel and how it would work though? I'm not sure if it would be to much speed and too easy to pop holes through the skin?

7. I had to replace my motor on my old flesher. Got a motor from Zorotools. It's faster than my other (1725 rpm to about 1550) & the HP is higher (1/6 vs 1/15), but I like it. Took some time to get used to & you better pay attention on thin skinned birds, but I prefer it now. I've fleshed everything from teal to swans on it. Does a much better job than my old one.

8. jimss

jimss Active Member

Cripplecreek and others. What do you use for wheels?

9. Jimss, try to find a "fine" wheel brush if your just starting out everyone has there preferences you can get them at hardware stores or order from taxidermy supply.

10. I got a 4 inch wheel from Ace. I've tried the fine & the course. I personally like the course better. Again, you have to pay attention to what you're doing, but it works better for me. You can get a wheel at the hardware store for $5. I'd suggest get one of each & see which one you like the best.

11. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I found online brass wheels.. that's what I like..

12. Txrebel

Txrebel New Member

Here is mine I can get you plans and part numbers of you want them

[​IMG]

13. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Finished my self-made -flesher today. Now Matt, you have to show me how to use it,
    Rainer.

Attached Files:

14. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

the motor, makes 2800 rpm

Attached Files:

15. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

inside view

Attached Files:

16. I just started classes at the end of January and we are currently working on waterfowl. I was super excited because someone came in and said they had someone that was building bird fleshers for $125. So I got my machine last week and just sat down to flesh a Lesser Scaup....this thing was scary! Then I looked at the motor and realized that it is 3450 RPM. Too much? I honestly can not imagine ever using this machine on a small/delicate bird. I didn't even finish the scaup as it is the very first duck my son shot and I didn't want to tear it apart. (I'll finish fleshing it in class tomorrow.)

I'm hoping that I can just replace it with a smaller or slower motor. Any suggestions would be helpful? TIA

17. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

Id get rid of that shelf above the wheel...its going to cause you more problems than a little fat on your plexi

18. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Do you think, I should remove it ?
    I saw some in other fleshers, so I thought it has to be there
    Rainer

19. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

I agree with byrdman's thoughtful and generous offering to you.

No need for that in addition to the plexi shield. That will only more quickly collect and more likely direct the goo to drip precisely onto your bird.

20. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

okay guys, I`ll remove it, thanks