1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need help with pronghorn skull cap/ eye set

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mimes, Feb 11, 2015.

1. mimes

mimes New Member

Not a beginner here, but is my first pronghorn. The skull cap measurements I took to tip of nose is correct, but top of eye orbit looks too high to me. Do I clay around top of orbit and the lid crease is in "middle of eye opening? Or is this really set too high?[​IMG][/URL]][/img]
    [​IMG][/URL][/img]

2. It is to high. Need to take more off the front and bottom of the skull plate. Don't forget to take all that cartilage off the cores of the horns.

3. mimes

mimes New Member

How much of that showing is cartilage? Guess I rehydrate in water and take off? It has been dried for 3 months.

4. sgsmith

sgsmith Member

Did you remove the horns from the cores?

5. i would just boil the whole skull cap for a bit. It will come off. All the blackish stuff on those cores is cartilage.

6. JEJ

JEJ Member

PA
    Too high as mentioned and there is an entire sheath on the horns starting where that hair is all the way up to the tip. It's about an 1/8 to 1/16 in thick almost whole way up. Need to rehydrate/simmer and get that off or you are inviting issues down the road. Also remember that is removed when putting the horns back on as they will fit "loose" and can fall lower down the core than before tissue was removed.

7. mimes

mimes New Member

Thanks. Removed the cartilage yesterday by simmering. Have an antelope seminar at my state convention in 2 weeks. Think I will hold off the mount till after then so that I can pick up pointers.

8. Drill a small hole under the horn so you dont set the horns back to high or low and skull plate is at least a 1/4 or aliitle more to high.

9. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    LIke others have mentioned too high. Your skin on your cape will never reach that high. Look in the Mckenzie book and it will show you how little skull is actually needed. Hope you removed the scent glands off that cape before you tanned it.

10. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

Try to imagine the glass eye has to almost rest on the orbital bone where the eye rests. The gap between the glass eye and the skull orbital opening should be a 1/4 of an inch. Hope this helps.

11. mimes

mimes New Member

10-4 that is what I was thinking.