1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

aquarium heaters

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by GPCD, Feb 12, 2015.

1. GPCD

GPCD New Member

Yes, this is my first post. Been reading on here a long time and can usually find my answers. I have beetles and trap. So I have been cleaning lots of small skulls. Now I have to figure out the degreasing. I'm trying to figure it out on these small ones so I can do my my two kids deer for them.

I have been searching the archives and decided I was going with the Tetra 200w heater for a 5 gallon bucket to degrease with. They must have changed them, they have an automatic temp setting and dont seem to be adjustable.

Does anybody know where or if the older, adjustable heaters are available? If not, what would be your next choice?

Thanks

2. treatedsyp

treatedsyp New Member

I use aqueon aquarium heaters.

3. akvz

akvz New Member

Aqueon is a good choice. You'll have to get to PetsMart or Petco if you don't want to fork over shipping online.

Not sure what happened with Tetra-- one of their adjustables broke, couldn't get a replacement at Wal-Mart or even online from the looks of it, called the company and asked for a replacement... and they sent the stupid fixed heat one. Called to ask for ANOTHER replacement since that simply won't do, not even for maceration... and got ANOTHER of the fixed heat ones. I'm not sure if they just don't have the adjustable heaters anymore and aren't telling me or what.

4. GPCD

GPCD New Member

Thanks. I assume you turn them up by popping the knob off and turning it? They are cheap online, but the shipping does hurt. I Think there is a Petco 10 miles south of me. Your using the 200w normal one or Pro model?

Thanks

5. Hungry Bear

Hungry Bear New Member

I have been using an aqueon 200 watt lately. I can get it up to about 105 degrees. Make sure you insulate the bucket or you will have a hard time maintaining the temp.

6. You can buy 2 for just a couple bucks more on Amazon than you would pay for 1at petsmart and free shipping if you get 2 of them

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YADYXG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1423771332&sr=8-1&keywords=submersible+aquarium+heater+aqueon+300&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&dpPl=1&dpID=419hsHh1M4L&ref=plSrch#

7. GPCD

GPCD New Member

Thanks for the link. That is what I will do.

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

There may be other heaters that you can tweak to do this. I haven't experimented with others yet. Just be careful that you don't over crank it too much. One might assume that you can do this with any submersible heater that you can pull the knob off. Just remember that the top range of most of them is close to 90 and 115 isn't a lot higher than that.

9. GPCD

GPCD New Member

Would there be a preference between the 200w and the 300w?

Thanks

10. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

Can't recall the brand, but I am getting 120-125f out of mine in a ice chest left outside.

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I would go with the higher wattage. Possibly made a little studier and they make more heat faster and won't be cycling on and off as much.

12. The aqueon and tetra both will work good. You can find the right tetra if you look for it. Its the HT5500. 200 watt is what I use and I have been heating about 22-25 gallons of water. Just be careful and dont over do it. I was having some heat issues with mine and decided to insulate my container last winter. The next day the water was 180 degrees and bubbling. The heater had fell apart and the grease was suddenly gone out of the head too. Live and learn. Good luck