1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How do you figgure your Life Size Prices?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Michelle_Nelson, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

So, how does everyone figure base work into there Life Size Prices?

Does the price everyone puts on there price lists for Life Size include a Base? How elaborate or basic of a base? Or does the price on your price list just account for the mount, and Base work is extra? Pictures of what your standards are would be great. I know some people include a basic base in the prices but what do you consider basic?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Bases are always extra and I base it on how much time estimated it may take to make including design time plus materials and then you need to get paid to attach said mount, that gets wrapped in there. If delivery and set up is required then you also have to charge for that. Or you can just charge more than enough for the mount to cover all of that.

3. Dark Man

Dark Man Active Member

My lifesize include a basic base that is included with the price. Habitat,transport,etc. is charged accordingly

4. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

I now charge extra for all bases. When I included a basic one in my price, the customer always choose the basic model. Then, I usually ended up doing more than I was paid for because I wanted it to look cool. Now, I find out what they want, or recommend something, then quote a price. They almost always go with it

5. Jacob N.

Jacob N. Member

Idaho
    I seem to struggle with that as well. Most people don't want to spend any more than they have too so if you include it in the price then it not like an add on. The problem with that is every mount is different in size. A base for a bear on all 4's is going to be larger than one standing up on 2 feet. I think that a per foot charge simplifies things. I know that's how it done with very large habitats. We do it with bear rugs and fish, all by length. Why not with base work.

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jacob N., what would you charge per foot for habitat and how would that be, per linear foot, square foot or cubic foot? You should be able to estimate how much it would cost to make it, and how much time it may take. I find that many folks don't want to pay more for a base than they do for the mount itself.

7. Jacob N.

Jacob N. Member

Idaho
    3bears, that's why I say I struggle. I usually go the route you described and just try and figure it out and give them a quote. Sometimes people have a hard time swallowing the extra cost for the base work. I was just trying to find a way that it would not seem as bad to them but still getting paid for what you do. I was thinking of $100 a linear ft or something like that but if your base is 4' long and 4' high then that would not work as well would need to go more like a square foot. Sometimes I have just said a simple base is close to 10% of the cost of the mount. That's why this topic interested me I was curious how others priced their base work. Just looking for a way to make it a little more simple.

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I include a base with all smaller life size mounts like bobcat, fox, raccoons, badgers, etc. I am priced high enough that I feel it's built into the price. I charge $1000 for most of the above. For half life size like goats, sheep, deer, and so forth, if they need it I throw it in; I'm at $1800 so I figure I'm high enough to make up for it. These are always simple bases with plywood, foam, and fake rock mix from Michael P.'s recipe. For larger animals like deer, bear, etc., if it's a life size they are either paying for a base which I usually charge about $500, or they don't get one. This is usually a simple base without much habitat. More than that is custom work and they pay extra.

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Jacob, I hear you, it is hard to nail down a set price. I have a base price for habitats and work up from there, depending on customers wishes, size restrictions and budget, and that base price is usually 1/2 the price of the animal.

10. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Habitats are included in our life-size prices except for trees and extra large scenes. Cabinet work is extra.

11. I do bases completely separate. They go from a basic set price to however fancy they want to get.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

Bases/scenes are all extra as they are all custom made for each and every piece most of the time.