1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Laws

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by AllieC, Feb 13, 2015.

1. AllieC

AllieC Member

Does anyone know the laws on selling a wet specimen bear heart? I heard someone tell me that bear parts were illegal but I'm not sure what they meant, I feel like if someone taxidermies a black bear then they should be able to do what they please with extra parts, such as skills which are legal. Let me know and feel free to email: [email protected]

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Depends on the state probably. I know in CA it's definitely illegal. Call your local DFG and ask for an enforcement officer and ask him.

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

We can't sell any bear parts here in New Jersey, just the mounting service.

4. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

It varies state to state, and transit between states is a whole other deal to look into. If the bear was taken and tagged legally, MAYBE. You need to call your state's fish & game department to be sure, and the f&g of the state a the potential buyer.

5. AllieC

AllieC Member

Awh damn, I'm in CA, thanks everyone for the help!

6. akvz

akvz New Member

Bear laws are pretty strict in most states-- in CA you can hunt bear with a license/permit but you are not permitted to buy, sell, or trade bear parts. Same for NY and many other states. If you're in CO or MT you may get away with it. Some states, even where legal to hunt bears and sell other parts, you can't sell any internal organs (including/especially galbladder) of them.

This is due to protections of endangered populations such as the Louisiana black bear in Texas, and to prevent animals from being hunted/exploited for organ trade, particularly for their bile. It is used in a lot of traditional Asian medicines and is part of a global issue threatening the safety and welfare of several bear species.

Since you're in CA, you should be careful about the animal parts you use in your work and what you preserve. Wolves, cougar, and bear are protected but so are many other species.

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

In CA you can't even sell your own mounts or mounts that you have inherited.

8. AllieC

AllieC Member

Yeah I always ask about stuff before I sell it, but thank you all