1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What exactly is an auto tanner.? And why the hype?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by WildArt2013, Feb 14, 2015.

1. WildArt2013

WildArt2013 New Member

I do about 20 deer, and other mammals throughout the year. I have a different day job. Anyhow, ive always used paint on tans, knoblochs. I love and my customers love the results i get. Anyhow is it pressurized or something? Does it improve stretch or is it a marketing scheme? Im not dropping a ton of money for something I dont need. Dropped that on a flesher a couple years ago, Lol.

2. I sold mine a few years back. I didn't see any need in it plus I don't like the tanning crystals they say to use with it. They don't lower the ph at all so when you are committed to pressure tanning a hide you have to stay with it IMO. Pressure tanning is supposed be using the force of the air pressure to force the chemical from the tanning crystals into the hide. As I said the ph isn't lowered at all so a hide left in a pressure tanner for and indefinite amount of time will slip. I experimented with a small spare hide I had. I put it in and left it for 24 hours. Hair slippage occurred. For my business purposes I may not have a good part of the day to dedicate to the hide. Flesh, salt walk away. Rinse throw in the pickle later walk away. Shave, throw back in the pickle walk away. Pull out neutralize, oil and it's ready to mount. That's how I work. Some guys love the auto tanner however. I tried a variety of things over the past 19 years. Some I liked, some I didn't. The auto tanner was one of them.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I think the agitation is the plus of a rotating tanning vessel. I would think that any submersible tan would work in a rotating vessel. This has been discussed many, many times on here and it is all in the archives, but in a nut shell, it was determined through discussion, the the pressure wasn't needed and agitation from the rotation was the key. For this, you don't need a pressure tanner. There are several rotation drums on the market that are cheaper in price than a pressure tanner, although the pressure tanner with a submersible tan, without the pressure turned on, will still rotate and give you the desired outcome. I have never used one, but this info is what I gleaned from all the research I have done on it.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It's true the pressure tanner is a waste of money. The have found the pressure does nothing in the tanning process but the agitation is the key to speed up the tanning process. If pressure was the key then you would have all major and minor tanneries use them.

5. Funny this came up. I pulled a skin out of the freezer I tanned with my pressure tanner in 1996 or 97. Just mounted it up and it is absolutely fine and that was tanned with the original crystals and oil.
    I dont like the original oil because of the residue it leaves.

While the pressure may or may not have anything to do with the tanning, the agitation does and it will tan in four hours. YOU can easily run 20 capes in a week with one.