1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I need a little help with this one...

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by akvz, Feb 14, 2015.

1. akvz

akvz New Member

I was going to wait until I finished this fox before I shared it, but... I'm coming across a rather unique issue.

[​IMG]

He has a porcupine quill lodged in his skull. I have absolutely no intention of removing this (even if I could) and I was just going to degrease and display the skull as-is. However, the teeth are pretty nasty looking and I was going to dip them in peroxide overnight to fix it.

[​IMG]

Then there's this tooth... it won't come out. How do I go about bleaching out this tooth while not damaging the skull or bleaching out the quill? I've macerated it and soaked it in ammonia for a week now... and it shows no sign of dislodging itself.

2. xxohmycaptainxx

xxohmycaptainxx Member

Take some papertowel soaked in peroxide and wrap it around the tooth. Make sure the skull is sitting right side up so dripping peroxide doesn't drip onto the skull. Continue to wet the papertowel as needed over the course of a day or two and you'll be good. This is the method I used for whitening the skull of my African Verreaux's Eagle as I couldn't put it completely into peroxide or I'd ruin its beak sheath.

3. carlabrauer

carlabrauer Quality bone cleaning with dermestid beetles

I'd go with the paper towel idea or a carefully applied peroxide paste. Maybe you could dab some paste onto the tooth and wrap plastic wrap around just the tooth. Probably easier to very carefully whiten that one tooth than try to extract it!

4. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I was thinking you could put a rubber caulk on the quill. but it looks like its laying on the skull. might half to re move it and put it back. if you can get it out.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I would try that too or just have the one odd tooth. Looks like the skull has some other issues too. Porkies are a nasty animal to deal with.

6. akvz

akvz New Member

There were quills laying on top of the bone as well and on the bone there are clear imprints of where the quills were:

[​IMG]

I should have taken a better picture of the skull in the raw (second to the left) but there were about 6-7 quills laying against the bone. This one just stuck in. Unrelated there are a few teeth that rotted out.

I'll try the paper towel thing. It's just a little nerve wracking since it's not a terribly large skull and I don't want to have the actual skull bleached in an area and try to make it look nice and even after that.

7. bugsandbones1

bugsandbones1 New Member

Use an injection needle to apply it where needed. U can apply small amounts in small areas