1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First duck base. Input please before i finish

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by tylerflip, Feb 14, 2015.

1. tylerflip

tylerflip New Member

Want to get some input on this duck base i have been working on before i finish it. I still need to add artificial water and finish smoothing out and painting the main rock in the scene. Pictures are attached and the red solo cup is for size reference. Any input before i finish this base would be greatly appreciated. There is going to be a Mallard Hen on the rock. Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Looks good to me!

3. Large rock should be smooth, like the small rocks.

4. tylerflip

tylerflip New Member

Thanks Warbird. I think that I did write that I am going to smooth out the larger rock still and paint it. This was just to see if there is anything I should think about changing before I finish everything up.

5. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Not sure I have seen polished "yard rocks" and sand with bright green weeds where a mallard would be shot... I am not trying to be a smart butt just honest. Where are you trying to simulate ? Most puddle duck bases consist of mud, water, and brown (winter) colored foliage. You see way too many bases containing things that just don't fit, especially plant species from other areas. The only place I have ever hunted with "polished looking" rocks was along the shore is WA. Not to say I haven't killed mallards there but that type of habitat would look out of place to anyone but folks who have hunted that exact area....a mud bottom would relate to 99% of mallard hunters. Using green grass/weeds depict a spring or summer scene...(or very southern areas) where as brown gives the idea of cold winter months. Most people also relate driftwood to mallards...not rocks. Now if you were adding a Harlequin that configuration, it would better fit.

The main questions when making a base....

Where ? Where is this scene supposed to be....swamp, flooded field, lake, etc...
    When ? Winter (brown) Summer (green)
    What? Does your species fit the scene

IMO your scene would look better if you took off all the rocks but the one the bird will be standing on, paint the bottom to match your wood frame, and paint the rock a dark brown with a tint of green to mirror the green of your weeds before adding your water . Maybe crunch up a few dead leaves and add a few small twigs to the water for a little character. Positioning the rock more centered might also help visually but "I" would mount the suzie first before I positioned the rock/duck. That way you could move them to where they look best instead of finishing the base before hand and making due.

Then again it is your bird so you are the "client". If you like it then it is what the customer asked for.

6. tylerflip

tylerflip New Member

thank you for your input! i do like the idea with the crunched up leaves and twigs.

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

one of the biggest mistakes made is that of having a base to busy...to much going on, or to much to look at.....the specimen should always be the main attraction...a base with to much involved just takes away from the mount itself.....less is better