1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #7 2/16/15

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fowlweatherfowler, Feb 15, 2015.

1. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Starting off a bit early as well.
    Josh here from Ohio.I am a avid duck hunter of 14 years and just got into taxidermy work a year ago. Waterfowl has been a all year long event from hunting, gear prep, decoys, pictures during spring migration, and now taxidermy.

The taxidermy passion stared as I had my first bird mounted. It then turned into 5 and then onto wanting all the NA and collecting. I knew the cost would be up there on top of cost of trips so I though I would try my hand at it. I tinkered a bit but was never happy with the results. Knowing I didn't have the time to learn by practice and ruining birds so I opted to take a class.

Thanks to Jim Macnamara I was well on my way. What he taught me improved my work by 100 plus birds after a week. Since then I have done a few and each one with more of a improvement. So far it has been a very relaxing hobby and I've had the pleasure of meeting, talking, and hunting with many that share similar passions.

Hopefully in my youth I can continue to improve, travel for more species, and possibly compete.Next will be learning how to do water work to step up my mounts a bit Along with better pictures.

Here are a few of my older birds. Some are multi bird works in progress. I may have a few new ones in the next 2 weeks. Mostly have been preping so when I go back to my real job I can work on them through the weekend. Please anyone with any experience level feel free to post. We were all beginners once and some still are. This is always about improving from the last and coming up with better and easier way to do things

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 689

689 Well-Known Member

Nice...im getting out a big greasy canada goose to start fleshing today to mount up..booo..lol..man..no fun to wash.i have got to be doing something wrong..:-[,if you have any helpful hints other than a acking back.i sure could use them today... ;D...

3. fowlweatherfowler

NW Ohio
    I wish I did. They are a lot of bird. The one i did was 13lbs. For the washing I had a tote a bit bigger than the goose and 8 inches deep. Then the actual washing was done inside the bathtub with the shower head. Then for the rinsing I actually did outside with the garden hose, right now in winter this wouldn't be a option for me. i did make a incision on the wings rsther than inverting them. Was not too bad other then the size, that being said idk if I would want to do another one anytime soon.

4. 689

689 Well-Known Member

Ok.cool.tks for the tip.this will be #3.gets easier except for washing :eek:..keep up the good work.hope i get him done in time to post. :eek:..

5. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Hey Josh! Thanks for hosting BOTW. I'm just starting to get some work finished. Sounds like we both started Taxidermy about the same time. Here's one of my firsts for the year that's finished.

[​IMG]

6. fowlweatherfowler

NW Ohio
    Nice work Brooke. I have one similar to that planned for myself this year. I would be interested in seeing how the hen is mounted on the inside of the box

7. BrookeSFD16

I'll take a pic tomorrow and put it up on Workbench. Don't know if I did it the right way...but it's stable.

That's a McKenzie box.

8. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

This one is almost done. One more Ross goose belly out. With baseball starting this weekend, who knows when I'll get it done.

[​IMG]

Josh-enjoyed hunting with you in MX.

9. fowlweatherfowler

NW Ohio
    That looks awesome Todd!! Are all those banded but the BPR?

Was a pleasure hunting with you also. We may have to set something up in the future for AK or maybe MX if the kiddo get into the sport.

10. brazosboyt

brazosboyt Member

All but the bpr were banded. Actually, not those exact birds, but we've shot 40+ banded blues, snows, Ross over the years.

This mount was to show off the phases of blues from
    The grey belly to the white belly. Different interphases. Along with a snow, Ross, and bpr. Mount I've been wanting to do for a while. Two of the blues have been in the freezer since 08.

11. BrookeSFD16

Awesome mount Todd!

12. oskare

oskare Iceland

few animals and birds from me
    arctic fox with ptarmigan
    [​IMG]

eurasian wren in a glass dome
    [​IMG]

more ptarmigans, horrible specimens, shot to hell, freezer burned blood in feathers
    [​IMG]

and one of the most feather perfect ptarmigans i ever had!
    [​IMG]

starling
    [​IMG]

manx shearwater
    [​IMG]

13. wings II

wings II New Member

Josh THANKS for hosting buddy! Love all your pics :)

Brooke - love, love, love the Woodie Box :) Todd, your man-cave mount is turning out spectacular!
    Alca that Fox piece is a stunner, but I think the Starling is my favorite.

[​IMG]

14. fowlweatherfowler

NW Ohio
    Nice variety Alca all look good to me, can never tell they had issues from the start.

Nice Woodro as always Matt. One time you need to get a mount set next to the real thing for comparison to see if you can even tell.

15. winston

winston Member

mine for the week

Attached Files:

16. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

great work alca

17. wings II

wings II New Member

[​IMG]

18. RusTax

RusTax Active Member

Russia
    Please forgive me for phone photo, but others I unfortunately not been preserved

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. fowlweatherfowler

NW Ohio
    nice Can one of the best decoying birds out there.

Those butterballs are some of my favorites when they get those gulf ball side heads and zipping around. They are the cause of most the accidentally decoy shots.

Rustax the motion in that mount iincredible.

20. Nice looking birds everyone here is a green top from me

Attached Files: