1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BOTW #7 2/16/15

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fowlweatherfowler, Feb 15, 2015.

1. grey

Attached Files:

• grey.JPG
      grey.JPG
      File size:
      111.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Chocolate

Attached Files:

3. Josh - Thanks for hosting this week bud! How you got started in birds is almost exactly identical to my story. I don't have any finished birds to post but maybe will by next week.

Brooke - Love the woodie pair! I've always been curious about the hen's sticking out too. Wondered if y'all actually finished the bird on the inside of the box or just mounted the bird from the wings forward. Now I know.

Todd - It's been amazing watching that dead mount progress. That's a good looking group of geese.

Alca - That ptarmigan is gorgeous! I've never noticed all the feathers on their feet before.

bgundog - Excellent job on that flying can!

Matt - you need your own category. cuz your birds are in a class by themselves. The texas plaque on that buffie is cool

Jason - I could tell you were a taxidermist in Louisiana just by looking at the hunters name on the tag for the greenhead. "Bubba" is one lucky hunter because it looks incredible.

4. wings II

wings II New Member

Bgundog - I like your flying rugneck - well done!

Jason Mire - you da' hardest workin' man in bird taxidermy - birds are looking great Sir!

Jason Rader - you crazy as hell - your post cracked me up :)

Evegeny - your pieces are simply dynamic! Thanks for making my buffle head look like a piece of crap. ;)

5. wings II

wings II New Member

I hate taking pictures on a bright sunny day but when the client wants to pick up - they got to go! I had to add the third bird on this piece that I did for the client eight years ago.

[​IMG]

6. bnoody

bnoody Member

Great birds guys, I really enjoy watching this thread every week. Once in a while I get the opportunity to mount a bird, while not quite at the standards of many here, thought I would share this black duck I recently did for my father.

[​IMG]

7. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    Nice birds Matt, could you tell a difference between the quality and technique from that long ago till now.

Nice black, brings back late season memories of late season on the cold frozen rivers.

8. Dark Man

Dark Man Well-Known Member

Nice blackie brian! Very clean

9. wings II

wings II New Member

Brian - it's nice to have one of the best fish guys in the world visit us on BOTW. Beautiful Black Duck. :)

10. wings II

wings II New Member

Same heads, same eyes and eye rings, same mounting techniques with the exception that I hand paint my bills now. As far as the birds the only difference is the top bird is too long in the rump/tail area. Nowadays, I pay close attention to the length of a wood duck... the bottom one better represents the shorter, squatty anatomy of a wood duck.

11. bnoody

bnoody Member

Glad you guys liked the black, i just wish i could bring those birds back to life like you guys do. Its a good thing fishing winds down for me during duck season because it would be a very difficult choice between duck hunting and fishing.

It sure was a refreshing change not to put a pair of optivisors on and paint each scale of a fish!

12. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

A couple for me. Awesome birds everyone

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. wings II

wings II New Member

Now THAT's a strap!! Love it. :)

14. fowlweatherfowler

NW Ohio
    Nice group of blue wings!!

15. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Thanks guys. That means a lot coming from people with such talent. It was a chore getting everything lined up

16. fowlweatherfowler

NW Ohio
    One thing to remember on your next dead mount is position the birds differently. Some will be have wings tucked tight other could have broken wings and over extended. This creates different things to look at rather than the same pose over and over. This is just nit picking and issues i had also thay someone pointed out. Other than that nice and clean birds and approach

17. wilcox1088

wilcox1088 Active Member

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it. It was tough doing so many of the same exact bird

18. wings II

wings II New Member

Had to go back and look at these again...was in too much of a hurry last week getting stuff done....Great week everyone. Thanks for keeping it Positive!