1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dried turkey feet

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ninetoes, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ninetoes

ninetoes New Member

I have a customer that was stiffed by another taxidermist on his sons first turkey. He got his turkey back in pieces and I'm trying to put it together for him but the feet have been removed and been dried . Wires have been put in legs but to light gauge wire and he didn't leave any wire sticking out the bottom of the foot to mount to a base. Does anyone have any ideas on whether I can re hydrate the feet and install larger wire or try to get feet? Appreciate the help!

2. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Inject the feet with soapy water using dawn. That should plump them up nicely.

3. ninetoes

ninetoes New Member

Thanks' Steve for the advice. These feet are so dried wasn't sure how to fix them. I'm sure that it will take several injections to soften them enough to get new wire in them. Will I need to worry about the outside scales falling off?

4. capnmike

capnmike New Member

I would take an extra set and switch spurs

5. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

In about 2 months we can get you a spare set of legs.
    Let me know if you want them. If you have the time to wait. ?

6. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I know that will fix freezer burn but didn't think you could get a needle into a dried foot ???

7. ninetoes

ninetoes New Member

Thanks Buck snort. I'm sure these legs are to dry to re hydrate by injection of soapy water ,but I will give it a try . I may be interested in a pair of legs if I can't find a pair in turkey season. I will give the customer the option to get a set that his son may kill this year since the bird I have now was his first.

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Immerse the feet in a saturated salt solution and put them in the refrigerator. (You could use a ziplock bag if you don't have anything they will fit in.)
    Leave them in the fridge until they soften up enough to be injected - even if it takes several days. The salt will protect them from slipping unless they are already spoiled.

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Nancy...X2