1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Switching from earliners to bondo?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 4000fps, Jun 30, 2007.

1. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

I use Fibre Hair from NAPA as well. But I use 1 part to 3-4 parts bondo. It adds reinforcement like adding chopped fiberglass but is much easier and quicker. It is expensive like nmtaxi said (I think $36) but using 1 part to 3 or 4 a gallon goes a long way.

2. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I followed the guidance above and used Bondo for my first time on a deer head today. WOW is that much simpler. It was easy to get the ears shaped good for an ears back pose, and I was able to get them nearly as thin as a liner.....you have to touch to tell the difference. I am definitely sold on this method. Thanks to everyone who added to this thread.

3. Bonded ears are "the only" way for me. Use a stiff wire brush on cartilage and skin to generate "hairs". This will optimize grip for the bondo and virtually eliminate drumming. When sewing small holes on the ear with little hair to hide the seam I use medical sutures (cardiovascular needle) with gut thread. This does a great job on those hard to hide seams.
    Paul Barath
    Nice Rack Taxidermy

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Great job Marty!!

5. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Thanks. I am doing another Michigan monster tonight, and I will pst the mount when done. I just used the regular Auto Body Bondo I actually bought at Lowe's, and I mixed in cut fiberglass to strengthen it. I am amazed at how rigid and strong it is. The only thing I did wrong was not pay enough attention around the base of the ear.....I had to break the bondo out and clay a little and it is a weak spot.......live and learn.

6. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

here's one of my bondoes ears but i am switching to earliners shortly

7. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

why do you want to switch now terry ?

nice job marty, now you know why i started using it after 4 years of "other methods", LOL, it really is that simple, Russ

8. michael p.

BONDO RULES!!!! BONDO RULES!!!! BONDO RULES!!!! BONDO RULES!!!! BONDO RULES!!!! BONDO RULES!BONDO RULES!!!!

9. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Just did another deer with Bondo and it came out great. Like 4000FPS said in the beginning, ears are tough. I had 2 perfect ears with not a single hole and I had to try to turn the end just that little bit more and.......pop, a nice 1/2" hole....damn. I always seem to go just that one more pull and then.....crap! I can't wait until I learn when to stop! LOL. I have to say Bondo is much more forgiving when you have a hole.....the little bit that comes out the hole can easily be removed. I'll definitely be sticking with the Bondo!

10. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Being new to the Bondo, I mixed about about 2 golf balls worth of Bondo, and about a 1" line of hardener. I had close to 5 minutes of working time per ear......plenty to get it smooth and even. The biggest problem I had was air in the tip of the ear.....I poked pin holes to get it out.

11. michael p.

No you dont card them......the ears are already set & ready to go as long as you have properly inverted them

12. Steve-o

Steve-o Member

Bondo vs. earliners: One of my all-time favorite debates in taxidermy. It's right up there with DP vs. tanning. Great results can be achieved with either method, but more bad ears are done with bondo. Fat, drummed, curled ears are a lot more common a few years down the road with bondo than with proper sized earliners and epo-grip liquid fast set.
    Whenever I have gotten in a deer head to re-mount because the ear skin is completely separated and falling off the ears I can guarantee there's bondo and not a liner in there.

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Your guys logic sorta surprises me. First off, I too do not like how moose, elk and some mulies seem to almost adhere to the cartilage, and therefore rip or almost delaminate, if you will. I also bondo some of them, just for that reason. But...and heres the part that I question...I actually like liners BETTER for damaged ears. Damaged ears, some that look like fingers of a hand, with so many notches, are much easier using liners. Its simple, cut open the healed (or unhealed) cuts, slide a liner in, and cut out the liner material that shows through. In fact, you can often repair notches that way, if the customer so desires. In most cases I do not care too much for bondo ears I see, I dont like the shape, they lack the flare and sweep ears usually have. Also, all too often the top edge rolls under, pulling the long guard hairs inward in the process. The bottom edge rolls back the other way, too. I dont say any method is right or wrong, but its 100% liners for wtdeer here, and bondo as neccessary with other species.

14. Turkey Creek

Turkey Creek Member

Bill that is what I tried to explain a couple of pages back on this thread, but since I didn't jump on the Bondo band wagon, I think it went in one ear and right on out the other. LOL

Chris

15. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I don't believe one can replicate the shape and ripples in an ear with bondo the way a good accurate earliner will do it for you. JMO

16. Bill Yox

Yes I agree...I just think that there IS a place for bondo, just not when an accurate liner is at the ready, and the cartilage can be removed, as in the case of most deer. Predators, for instance, have quite a bit of meat in that area, and skipping cartilage removal, at least partially, could spell trouble, and shrinkage, down the road. I just dont think you can beat an accurate liner, but I still also admit that bondo done correctly is an effective tool as well.

17. swampfox

swampfox New Member

Let me see if I digested that right, Bill likes the earliner because it is easier to get accurate detailed ears that judges like at competitions, and they are easier to use on bad ears. Good points. He also admits that a bondo ear done correctly is an effective tool as well, As shown in a pic by Michael P. of a well done mulie, bondo ears can be well done with practice. To be honest, if I were mounting a competition WT I would use a very good earliner, and I would practice removing ear cartilage, and trimming the liners to fit the ears perfectly. I would also use the best earliner adhesive on the market to help ensure that drumming would not be a problem. That said, I don't compete, and just as Bill stated, it can, and has proven a very effective tool for my style of doing ears. Since Bill has been a judge, I would take his advice, rather than take a hit on an ear that was almost thin enough, but not quite, or extremely close to correct in details but a hair or two off. My customers are going to continue to get home brewed ears until they can tell the differnce, and demmand otherwise. ;)

18. michael p.

Bill's so cool!! ;D

19. Bill Yox

Guys Id love to take the credit here...but it wasnt me who said use liners for comp and bondo for damaged ears. Im the one that said that liners were actually easier then bondo for damaged ears, and I use liners for all my whitetails cuz they look better, and bondo for hard to turn ears like moose, elk, and mulies. I would of course use a custom earliner for competing.

I do recall a mount, in WV, in the early '90's that I judged. I believe it received a blue, that was bonded ears AND dry preserved. It simply was done well and met the criteria of the scoresheet, whether or not it was MY personal favorite method didnt matter. I just seldom see bondo ears commercially or in comps that I like the shape of better then liners, and that includes many posted in the forums...sorry guys! As for bondo ears pulled and reinserted, I call those liners, just a custom made liner, thats all.

20. swampfox

swampfox New Member

Just pickin' at ya a little bit Bill. The more you talk the better I like you.