1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is being used to apply mod podge to nose

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mathewsxt1987, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Mathewsxt1987

Mathewsxt1987 New Member

What is the item pictured being used to apply mod podge. Would like to try using this tool, but don't know what it's even called. Right now i use a small paint brush

Attached Files:

2. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

McKenzie sells it and a few others, called detail bottles

3. Mathewsxt1987

Mathewsxt1987 New Member

Thanks found them on mckenzie sight

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have one of those, but I don't use it. I found a better one at Research Mannikins.

5. John L

John L Active Member

x2 used them and the bottle Jim Allred sales is much better.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I stopped using Mod Podge when I was introduced to Liqui-Tex by Paul Borkowski. I use a 3cc syringe with a 20 gauge dental needle (I got rejects from the local dental supply). Works great, better than the bottle when I get a hiccup.

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If you use the detail bottles, always, and I repeat always, remove the metal tip and place it in a small jar of water between uses. Before the next use, remove from the water and blow it out with an air pistol. If it gets clogged with modge podge, its a bitch to clean out.

8. I purchased the details bottles also, but I agree with Mr. George, I now use small insulin syringes. the small needle can create better detail and can actually pull it back in if
    you put to much out in one spot..

9. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

I too use a syringe and needle. I file/grind the sharp tip flat, for better control of the fluid being dispensed.

10. http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/T7103-P4803.aspx

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Use a fine brush ; works fine for me . ;D

12. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

The bottle kit I got and have used for 10 years came with the little clean out wire for each size tip, easy to clean and apply any type of coating of Mog Pog consistency. I believe the ones that McK, Van Dykes Matuska are all the same and work just fine for me. And for the price of 6-7 dollars, worth trying. I'm sure a syringe will work fine also but I can leave the product in the bottle and use it as I need.

13. George

Paul, the syringe is the same. With a 20 gauge needle, you simply insert a straight pen. I've had LiquiTex in a syringe on my work bench for nearly 3 years now, filling it only when need be. When I'm ready to use it, I pull the pin and start detailing. My problem stems from not remembering where I laid the pin down and having to find another one to "cap" the needle.

14. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Started using Mod Podge years ago but spent some time with Joe Meder and now use Liquid Tex. I agree with George a syringe is much easier for me and if you screw up and it gets clogged .... Pitch it, syringes are cheaper to replace.

15. Judd from Minnesota

Judd from Minnesota New Member

Not to hi jack the thread, but what type of Liqui-tex are you guys using?

16. George

LiquiTex is an artist's "varnish". Smoother than ModPodge or Elmers it goes on milky and dries clear. I buy mine online at MisterArt.com

17. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

George, I use Liquitex in some places but never have used it for building the nodules on the nose. Too me, it seems less viscous than the modpodge and more self leveling. Do you find it difficult to get the nodules close together without them bleeding into one another?

18. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Liquitex at it's intended use. Sure makes a nice varnish over my paintings. ;D
    [​IMG]

19. George

It is runny and it takes 2-3 applications but the nodules look better to me. They're subtle and not "pointy" like ModPodge. As I said, I use a 20 gauge hypodermic and I'll lay down a wide pattern. Thirty minutes later, I fill the spaces with another pattern.

20. George

Nice work Dave. Thanks for sharing.