1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Long nose gar paint schedule

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by bgman, Feb 17, 2015.

1. bgman

bgman Member

Is there one out there? I need one for one that I recently finished for a client. Thanks

2. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

I am very interested too, got one gifted and brought him back to Germany, any help would be great,
    Rainer.

3. squid

squid hunt hard or go home

I used to have to go by a paint schedule religiously. At a competition a judge told me paint what you see in your reference picture and you will be better off. It seams to work well. I sometimes still use a schedule for some aid but try to paint what I see

4. bgman

bgman Member

Thank you for the advise. Looks like I will need to do so anyways, can't seem to locate one. Thanks.

5. Michael Bunker

Michael Bunker Mongo only pawn in game of life.

If your color blind that advise only goes so far...........paint schedules help us color blind guys tremendously.

6. If it helps at all there are several good reference pictures in the "Fish Reference Photo" section of long nose gar.....

Brian

7. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

If your color blind that advise only goes so far...........paint schedules help us color blind guys tremendously.
    [/quote]

This really doesn't matter as much as you might believe. Of course it would when ordering your initial colors, but other than that, no. I know what I see as green; even though you don't see it the same way, if you paint the shade you see, and I paint the green I see, you would still be extremely close to the correct coloration of my paint. JMO.

8. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

Thanks for all your help and yes, if I can`t get a schedule, I have to use ref-photos but as a beginner in working with an airbrush, it would be very helpgful to know which colours to use first and how to blend, that is the thing where I see my problems by trying to find the correct way to the colours I see on a picture,
    Rainer.

9. I have done several. I don't use paint schedules...but can explain if you still need help. You can look at one on my web page at Fin and Bones Taxidermy.

10. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Cory....being red/green colorblind( as you must be), a basic paint schedule puts me in the ball park, then I paint as I "SEE" as far as intensity and placement. Some paint schedules do help some. JL

11. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

JL....not saying I'm very good at it, but learning to read shades and understand what colors do to each other has helped me along. I understand paint schedules and have used/still look at them. They do have their place in the learning curve. But buying paint without seeing it in person as a colorblind would be extremely difficult IMO.

12. rai_red

rai_red Active Member

thanks a lot for all of your help, I will try to use your references,
    Rainer

13. Michael Bunker

Michael Bunker Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The paint schedules I have specify the color by brand ie Lifetone or Transpar. Being brown/green color blind is a major handicap (like I have ) most fish I paint have browns and greens in them. So I use paint schedules and my wife, most women are not color blind.

Can't track a blood trail in the leaves either.................