1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need a little help with Mckenzie's replacement nose

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by KB, Feb 18, 2015.

1. KB

KB New Member

I haven't mounted a deer in a couple years and decided to get back into it with a couple of my own that I've saved for practice. I ordered a 6900 series form along with the replacement nose by eppley that is designed to go with this form, the 69N70 as seen below. I thought it was like the older shelf style nose where you just cut above the lip line, but this one includes the upper lip line and follows the contour of the form at the lip. I'm not sure sure how to go about installing and getting the form cut nicely along the lip line like that, and once installed how do I secure the upper lip...since its hard plastic and not foam? In the Mckenzie catalog it says there is an online video yet I didn't see it on the website. I also searched on this forum and the only tips I could find were how to use the shelf style noses without the lip line. Thanks!

the nose I'm referring to http://www.mckenziesp.com/69N70-P23973.aspx

2. nelsondeerfarm

nelsondeerfarm me and THE BUCKMAN !!!

I personally have used these on my last three mounts. I like them.
    I cut my lip slot first, I always angle slightly upward with the Dremel when cutting the slot. Then I hold my replacement nose to one side of the foam nose and sketch a line, then repeat on the other side. Then I cut straight down along my lines, until I hit the lip slots, and the nose is freed up and breaks off easy. I use hot glue to anchor the new nose on..
    The lip line is not to bad to blend, although the replacement nose is always a little wider then the foam nose. I use clay, or magic sculpt.
    The key is to take your time, and really line the replacement nose up the best you possibly can. I like these noses, because come finish time, it is literally only a few minutes work and the results are better than my best carved nose.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you haven't bought that nose, I'd strongly suggest you look at Headquarters Supply replacement noses first. FINALLY someone has cast the replacements out of FOAM. This is a 3-piece with a hard plastic septum. No fitting. You just cut the whole nose off and foam this one in its place. Then you can cut your lip slot all the way around. And the price is about $10.

4. KB

KB New Member

thanks for the input. George, I'll have to look into that, at this point I think my best option would be to cut off the rest of the nose and attempt to start from scratch on that nose...or turn the whole thing into a knife block/archery target. I saw where OTS has a system with their forms called the Alpha nose, I may go that route.

5. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

I'm with George, the Headquarters nose is the way I go. More accurate than what I can carve in the same amount of time.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Looks like the nose is $17.50 but having seen it, it's well worth the money with the time and effort involved with those damned cast noses.

7. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

George, I just pulled out my HQ catalog to look at that nose, looks nice. Wish I could figure out the pricing "codes."

8. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Drop the first and last zero and that's the price Including 2 digits for the cents.

9. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Thanks JerseyJays.....cant beleive i didnt see it

10. quest

quest Member

Utah
    I thought you could just buy the Alpha series option for $6.00 from Ohio Taxidermy Supply?

11. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Quest - you are correct, but that is exclusively for OTS forms

12. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

The HQ nose is awesome ! Gene Smith is the one who made that nose for HQ but you can use it on any other forms .

13. KB

KB New Member

So George, rogerswildlife, harvestmoon, which HQ nose are you all using? looking in the catalog there is the "EZ whitetail replacement nose" which is the usual shelf type nose and is $13.95, and then there is the "3 piece eppley whitetail reference" which when I inquired about it at HQ I was told that is just a reference nose, not designed to use as a replacement, listed at $17.50. Are you all using this 3 piece nose as a replacement?

14. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

KB, it's called the "quick nose" pg 131 2015 HQ catalog. It's a two piece nose, comes in three sizes, & cost $13.95

15. KB

KB New Member

thanks IMNTM..just had to "turn the page" of that online catalog.