1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need a little help with Mckenzie's replacement nose

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by KB, Feb 18, 2015.

1. KB

KB New Member

I haven't mounted a deer in a couple years and decided to get back into it with a couple of my own that I've saved for practice. I ordered a 6900 series form along with the replacement nose by eppley that is designed to go with this form, the 69N70 as seen below. I thought it was like the older shelf style nose where you just cut above the lip line, but this one includes the upper lip line and follows the contour of the form at the lip. I'm not sure sure how to go about installing and getting the form cut nicely along the lip line like that, and once installed how do I secure the upper lip...since its hard plastic and not foam? In the Mckenzie catalog it says there is an online video yet I didn't see it on the website. I also searched on this forum and the only tips I could find were how to use the shelf style noses without the lip line. Thanks!

the nose I'm referring to http://www.mckenziesp.com/69N70-P23973.aspx

2. shane whiting

shane whiting Active Member

Utah
    If you are concerned about the lip line and the correct fit on the form take a grinder and grind off the lip line on your cast nose and make it flat. This way you can install it like the other replacement noses made by Eppley and maintain the foam lip line on your manikin.

3. I've done a couple of these - just take your lip slot blade and cut lip slot on form at same angle as slot on replacement nose. Next take saw and cut the vertical cut where you need to. Then, cut horizontal about 1/4 inch above lip line over to the vertical cut. Take the cut nose off and then you'll have a little horseshoe piece that comes off where lip line is. Dry fit replacement and adjust cuts if necessary to get proper placement. With good glue, lip line tucks/stays same as foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. KB

KB New Member

thanks Driftless, I did just as you said before reading you post..it seemed liked it would work. Though I couldn't get the darn thing to match up to the form nicely at all, it was a disaster. I don't think my cuts were all that far off, but the nose was set below the form, and was too wide, it stuck out past the form on either side. How did they make it look so nice in the catalog? haha...oh well, that form may just be turned into a knife block/archery target. Time to back up and punt.....maybe forget about replacement noses and just remember how to carve out the nostril details.

5. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

There are three different sizes and you need to buy the correct one, small medium or large. You will need to figur out which one by thinking about the age of the deer you are mounting for example a 1-1/2 year old buck form could not possibly take the large replacement nose. The small nose would be the one that I would choose for the mount.