1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

termite problem? please help!!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by luciengwin4, Feb 18, 2015.

1. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    I hope somebody can help me with this. The building I have put my mounts in had termites a little while back and the big people came and fixed it or so I thought. Today I moved my harlequin of all mounts of the wall and looked in the foot and it had a little hole with a trail behind it like termites make and then noticed the feathers were out of place on the head and when I touched then they started falling out everywhere. Will termites eat mounts? Or could it be something else?

2. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

You have a Dermested infestation. They are everywhere and will consume all your mounts unless you fumigate. Others on here know better how to do that. You will get much advice as to what steps to take.

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Termites don't attack mounts

4. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

5. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    Thanks guys!

6. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

After you have them under control and fumigated get a 24oz plastic spray bottle....an ounce of CEDAR WOOD OIL and some denatured alcohol. Pour the ounce of cedar oil into the spray bottle and then fill the bottle with the alcohol and shake well to mix. Now lift some feathers and spray them gently getting the solution down to the skin in as many places as you can. Soak a cotton ball with the solution and with long tweezers place them under the wings. Then on the dark colored birds like Canada Geese, etc spray the whole surface of the bird from a distance and let dry. Spray the inside of glass cases making them a form of Cedar closet. This will work and I sell a similar solution to museums for all their mounts not just birds. If you can't find the ingredients to make this I can sell you a 24oz spray bottle of the one I make for $12.00 and $3,00 shipping. Check, PO Money order. Credit card or PayPal.

White Mountain Insect Repellent
    PO Box 1195
    Merrimack, NH 03054
    Tel. 603-424-4483

7. JL

Should have also mentioned that Termites eat wood which contains cellulose and they convert that to a form of sugar for food. Dermestids eat anything protein, skin, fur, feathers, wool. These are what are infesting your mounts and need to eradicated. Good luck....JL

8. JL

Wow...will have to forget the $3.00 shipping fee since I just shipped one bottle to Texas and it cost me $9.75. I honored the fee since I posted it, but can't ship any more for that price. Will just charge the actual shipping cost. I'm use to shipping larger cases by UPS and didn't think the Postal Service was that expensive. JL :mad:

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

In south Mississippi, you could have Formosan termites, which will eat ANYTHING... They are a terrible nuisance and almost impossible to get rid of. The advice given here for control and eradication should work in getting them off your mounts.

Read more at...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formosan_subterranean_termite