1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Disposing of large amounts of peroxide?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by rthomp26, Feb 18, 2015.

1. For those of you who use large amounts of peroxide, like I do. I am curious how you go about getting rid of it? Anyone know of the legalities of it?

2. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

It oxidizes to oxygen and water when it is completely exhausted. (H2O2 --> H2O + O)

3. 689

689 Well-Known Member

What kind are you using?

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Pour it into your compost pile or garden dirt. It breaks down into harmless water. I also dilute it and pour it down the drain and scrub the toilet out while I'm doing it. If it is horribly strong, you would not be dumping it anyway so anything that is weak enough to be useless doesn't have much left to it. I also pour it on my deck and scrub it around. It seems to do a little to lighten the wood and get rid of the green spots on it and discolorations from leaves.

5. akvz

akvz New Member

As Sea Wolf said, in low concentrations to be useless for whitening, you can use that last % up in household cleaning applications. Mop water, scrub your sink out (especially if you scrub dead things in that sink)...

I would note to NOT drink it unless it's 100% water at this point... 3% is used in vet medicine to cause animals to vomit and it can very much do the same for humans. Probably not the best for plants, either, but it's enough water that it's not going to kill them unless they're particularly dainty, like orchids.

6. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

One thing you also have to keep in mind is it's used as a DISINFECTANT I highly doubt any municipality would give you a hard time for partially pretreating your own waste water with a product that breaks down into two harmless substances.

If you need to dump a lot if it, maybe you should charge the city for your part in pretreating your water! <- JK

SeaWolf - I was on Google maps the other day and saw huge white piles of dirt behind someone's house..... Is that your house? Lol

7. Sea Wolf

LOL. No dirt to be seen anywhere around here for 100 miles or more. Look for a buried 24 x 24 dog pen, another two lumps might be a 17 foot box trailer and my boat. There is another lump by the side of the house with an antenna sticking up about 3 inches out of it. That used to be a full sized 89 Bronco. :) I think I will find my stuff around July.

8. PA

PA Well-Known Member

I have heard that the Boston area had huge quantities of one of the end products of the breakdown of peroxide falling from the sky. Perhaps why everything is white up there.

9. Sea Wolf

LOL. Must be. Feel bad for the people in Boston. They are so screwed. Like trapped rats.

10. Thank you all for the input. you gave me some great advice and I'll use it!

11. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Yes it's bad all over the northeast. All the roads around me are at least 8-12" less wide. On all the major roads it's not terrible but we have some roads that have been reduced to one way. It wouldn't have been so bad but we had NO snow until February!
    [​IMG]