1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Must read money saver!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by jonyboy, Jun 30, 2007.

1. jonyboy

jonyboy Thats where the neighbors dog went.

You all have probably heard of the Mat Thompson fish skinning knife that sells in Van Dyke's for about $11.00. Well I have news for you. You can get that exact same knife for about 4.00 at you local Fleet-Farm. It is used for horses to clean bot eggs off of the their legs. That in easier terms is fly eggs. It is $7.00 but that is $7.00 more that you could be spending on something else.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Isn't this the one that Pescado developed? :eek: :eek: :eek:

No Paul I'm not picking on you but I thought you said you developed this fish skinning knife? Or is it a different one?

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

My versions are modified a bit from the ones mentioned above. I'll spare you the details Cecil.

I doubt the $7.00 you save will pay for the gas to get you to your farm store jonboy. I have no control over what prices are charged by the supply companies either. I do set my prices on my site though, www.taxitools.net and I also inform all my customers that I have a great customer support line for any technical questions they have with any of my products. See what Farm & Fleet can help you with.

You should also remember, especially being a beginner, not to burn bridges before you cross them.

4. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

Jonyboy. Remember one thing as you begin. The taxidermy world is actually VERY small. I understand you're only trying to help out as I did at one time but you're only taking away from a person who you may turn to for advice later. Been there,done that ,and have the "used to be friends" to prove it. The taxidermy world is far more than taxidermy and has more "underlaying" politics than the whitehouse if you're ever gonna make it to the top. Best wishes to your success!

5. RobinK

RobinK New Member

1.99t tractor supply

6. tracy

tracy coon dogs

Pescado My versions are modified a bit from the ones mentioned above. I'll spare you the details Cecil.

I doubt the $7.00 you save will pay for the gas to get you to your farm store jonboy. I have no control over what prices are charged by the supply companies either. I do set my prices on my site though, www.taxitools.net and I also inform all my customers that I have a great customer support line for any technical questions they have with any of my products. See what Farm & Fleet can help you with. site and tools look great
    had to book mark it for latter do you offer a all tool package deal

7. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

I bought my knives from Pescado and am highly satisfied. Paul has helped me out greatly to, especially when it comes to very technical things. See if the boys down at the feed store can do that.

8. I am sure he is trying to help out.
    honestly it is nice to know there are a few alternatives out there if for some reason you need a new knife in a pinch.
    two weeks ago I threw out my skinning knife and a scalpel in a wad of newspaper after working on a fish.
    I realized what must have happened after the garbage man had taken the goods. Had I known about the fleet farm thing i could have had a better alternative other then taking a grinder to a butter knife, so i could still work while i wait for the replacement to arrive.
    Also i hate to say it but some guys starting out in a hobby are on such a tight budget i know when i started i was. Even an $8 knife is too much at the time.
    Another issue here is things that WASCO does as well as other companies. Taking a brand name caulk and putting a new label on it and calling it fin backing cream. That stuff really gets me mad.
    statements like

"Polytranspar Fin Backing Cream
    This is the original formula Fin Backing Cream that has been widely imitated but never equalled. Developed for retaining the texture, transparency, and flexibility of fish fins, it also increases the durability of fins as it protects against breakage. But the virtues of this fine product don't stop there."

its White lighnting caulk! just peel the label away.
    I know its the same company that runs th forum, I know, but still. stuff like this doesnt help these issues of looking for it cheaper elsewhere.

either way I appreciate the tip I may pick up a few spares just in case i prove myself to be a moron again.