1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Competiton Piece Help

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by taxidermistIN, Feb 19, 2015.

1. I'm taking a Hooded Merganser Drake to the state show this year I've only mounted one, one other time a while back and don't know much about them. Okay the neck skin looks like it can take a 1" neck insert but before I skinned the bird it wasn't that big. In fact a guy at the show last year got knocked for having the neck too fat for one. What woulld a good neck size be? Also the feet.. any idea on how to paint the feet of these like what colors to use. The beak explains its self lol.. Thanks for taking time to read this and help. -Josh

2. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Competition you should copy the exact size (length and diameter ) of the real neck and the body for that matter.

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Maybe a smidge bigger to compensate for the fat removed.

4. nate

nate Active Member

Hoodys have a lot of neck skin and be tough to taxi and work with. A 3/4" to 1" neck should be sufficient, then you have to the rest. Use lots of reference. That's gonna be a tough subject to pull off correctly for show piece.

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I would start with a piece of 3/4 inch foam neck material cut to the same length of the real neck, and then trim that to the original outline. Since there is very little fat on the neck skin I wouldn't add anything to the foam but if you think it needs a little building up you can add what you need by pumping some caulk through the mouth and spread it where you need it. Easier than trying to trim out too much foam. Good luck....JL

6. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Put back what you took out....really that simple. ... you don't geuss or just add extra...

7. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

https://www.google.com/search?redir_esc=&client=ms-android-verizon&hl=en-US&safe=images&oe=utf-8&q=hooded%20merganser%20feet&source=android-browser-type&qsubts=1424436494104&devloc=0

Look at some colors in the pics here. ...what do you see?

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Make the neck the same size that it was in nature unless you are planning to mount the bird doing its croaking display. (They inflate their throats for that.)

Use latex caulking because you will need plenty of working time, but don't make the layer too thick. Be sure to lightly moisten the neck skin one last time before you seal it up, then taxi the skin into place and, bit by bit, tuck the excess skin into very tiny folds using an adjusting needle.
    Think: the ridges in small nap corduroy.

9. Thank you guys very much for the information you've gave me. I'm gonna use it and give it a shot. You can only learn by making mistakes. I'll use some caulk on the neck and a inch or 3/4 necking. I'll post a picture when I complete my project!