1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

silicone on antlers issue?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by lamina1982, Feb 19, 2015.

1. lamina1982

lamina1982 New Member

So i started using cheap silicone on deer antlers when in peroxide to prevent discoloration. It worked great and pealed right off. I did the same on my last few heads working on and used same silicone and its not wanting to come off..before peeled off in one nice piece..now just tearing little bits at time and really sticking to antlers. How can i get this off easily???

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

I have never tried "cheap" silicone. What I did try was a product called Seal N Peel that was recommended by another member and it works well. Perhaps the first try with the cheap stuff you used a thicker layer? Did the second try soak in something different? Possibly the surface of the first set of antlers had something on them like an oil or sap that allowed the silicone to come free easily. The second try didn't have the same coating on them. It sounds like it either isn't fully cured or damaged in some way by something that weakened it. Can't offer a solution to get it off other than to make sure it is all clean and put on a new heavy layer over it, let it cure completely and try to peel it off along with the defective layer.

3. akvz

akvz New Member

In the future, apply some sort of mold releasing agent before applying cheap silicon and it should work well. For now, Sea Wolf is right... try adding a second layer.

4. lamina1982

lamina1982 New Member

Any particular releasing agent you use?

The only thing that may be different is the silicone was in garage and poss froze between uses...but ya its real pain. First run i did 5 skulls so thinking has to be the silicone not antlers.
    Thanks for replies

5. John3786

John3786 New Member

I applied seal and peel to the bottom three inches or so of a set of antlers during peroxide whitening. The remainder of the antlers were wrapped in his plastic wrap which overlapped the seal and peel. When I removed the seal and peel, that portion was darker than the rest of the antlers. Any idea why?!

6. Sea Wolf

Darker? There shouldn't have been a change. How did you whiten? Pasting? Is it at all possible that peroxide got to the unprotected antler?

7. John3786

John3786 New Member

Yes darker somehow! I soaked in liquid peroxide. There was no direct contact with the peroxide to the unprotected antler. Is it possible the fumes or evaporating peroxide lightens the unprotected antlers (although I wrapped most of the remaining antlers in plastic to protect them from any foam that may rise up)? I thought maybe the seal n peal caused the antlers to retain moisture in that area and it might go away after drying but it is still darker a day later, exactly along the lines of the seal n peel. I did leave the seal n peel on a few days after the peroxide bath so maybe it’ll just take a couple days to fade back.

8. Sea Wolf

It might actually be trapped moisture. If it was peroxide, it would have lightened the color. Give it a few more days in a warm, dry area. Would really like to know if it doesn't change.