1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

skull ID help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by linoman, Feb 20, 2015.

1. linoman

linoman Member

I believe this was found on a beach many decades ago, came across is the other day while going through some old storage. No clue what it is, can anyone ID?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. linoman

linoman Member

top view

Attached Files:

3. linoman

linoman Member

bottom view

Attached Files:

4. akvz

akvz New Member

It's part of a fish skull. Looks like a catfish of some sort. Where was this beach located?

5. necrocanis

necrocanis Member

I use to find these a lot. It is the neurocranium of a sea robin. There are different species so likely unless you only have one local species to that stretch of beach may be impossible to figure out. I have seen these listed all over as mystery skulls. :) hope this helps. I actually have one in my hand right now lol.

6. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Good call necrocanis
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/aranea-designs/5641969262/
    Ralph

7. linoman

linoman Member

Ah mystery solved! I knew the good folks on this forum would have the answer for me. It's been so long since I found this that I honestly can't even remember what beach it was, I was a very small child at the time. Thanks everyone!

8. necrocanis

necrocanis Member

No problem. I have prepared hundreds of species of fish skulls and skeletons over the years. I can usually eiter figure it out, get close, or know someone who can ID for sure. Fish can be tricky when just the skull/neurocranium is found. Very interesting indeed though.

9. AH7

AH7 New Member

Darn! That was the ONE fish bone I could have identified. Oh well. Serves me right for staying off t.net for a few days.