1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolverine noses

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by hoytman, Jul 1, 2007.

1. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I am getting ready to order the form, etc. for my first wolverine. Does anyone know where to get an artificial nose? The nose is in great shape but would rather get a artificial one. Also I plan on using a lip cast partial open mouth system from Mckenzies, does it already have the nose as part of the system?
    Any and all reccomendations would be much appreciated. Thanks,

2. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

I believe the nose is part of the cast lip system.

3. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i use a coyote nose

4. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

cattrax,is right,the nose is on there.Currently no one makes a seperate wolverine nose.I've used coyote noses too.There is a slight difference in shape and the hairline on top is slightly different but I would bet that even competition judges wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

So if I order a form and a change out head, with lip cast system to represent the partial open mouth, I should be good? It takes about 2 weeks to receive my orders so I just want to get it right and not have to wait for 1 little part.

Thanks

6. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Jesse,that is correct.The only exception would be if you use McKenzie's formWLV-32-CL,that Cast Lip head is on the form and you aren't buying a seperate head.Otherwise,buy a lifesize form,Cast Lip head and a pair of eyes.

7. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Thanks Jim B and all who have replied. I plan on placing order tomorrow. Skin is in the fridge rehydrating, I'll take measurments tomorrow, freeze, and order.

Thanks again.

Here are the eyes I plan on using

The form will be similar, but walking down hill instead.

8. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Jim, I think I am going to dish out the 169.35 for the WVL-32-CL With thte eyes I posted before and a tail TL13, would you recommend bondo for a wolverine, or go with earliners?
    I am alittle confused in the catalog, I want the one with the partial open mouth, SOM? is that semi open mouth?

Here is the Wolverine I plan on doing.

9. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Pic would help.

Picture

10. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

bondo the ears - they are small and show very little detail except edge

11. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Jesse,I'm generally not a fan of bondo ears but they will work fine for a wolverine.Look at some reference when you shape them and cut a pocket in the head where the ear will set and fill that with clay so you can settle the ear into it properly.The skin and reference will tell you where the pocket goes.As far as the eyes go,the true eye size for wolverines is 9-10 mm.I always used the 125 eye with 8mm iris and 12mm base.Unfortunately,McKenzie doesn't sell them.The eye pocket in that form is for that 12mm eye but it is really too big.When you use an eye that large,it's impossible to show any white,which is why you pay the big money for those eyes in the first place.Tohickon should have the 8x12mm ones,but you would probably have to fill in the eye socket to make that one work.SOM means slight open mouth.AOM is agressive open mouth.There's a picture of one in the catalog I did using the 8mm eyes.I would at least go to the 10mm iris,McKenzie does have those.

12. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Jim, you think the eyes I have pictured above in a 12mm are too big? Talk about frustrating and confusing... I wish I had a mckenzie down the road, make this mail order stuff more simple. LMAO... no, not really, Thanks for all your help, I might just order a few pairs and see which I like best. If I'm going to spend almost 170 on a form, whats 30 in eyes right? ???

13. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

The 12mm iris is definitely too big to show any white in the eyes.Measure the eye opening in your skin.Also you need to remember that on the 125 eyes,the brown iris really is bigger than what it says,in this case,12mm.Wolverines I've measured on the carcass have 9 and 10mm iris.That form was built to handle the 12mm 125 type eye however so it will fit in the socket.It just makes it about impossible to show any white.Those eyes can be used on bears later.Your best bet would probably be to get the 10mm ones.All you have to do is rehydrate the skin and hold the eye behind the eye opening in the skin and you will see what I mean.

14. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

Jim Alread has wolverine nose casted by John Sanzo

15. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

Wow.Thanks for that Laurier.I haven't had an Allred catalog for some time.that's good to know.Robert Holshouser in Alaska used to sell two different sizes but doesn't make them anymore.

16. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Thanks to all again for the help, Should place order tomorrow. I am excited about the turn out. I will post on the what your working on once I start. I will also be working on 2 caribou, 1 skunk, and a whitetail flehmen... alittle nervouse about the flehmen, but I should be good. Thanks again

Jesse

17. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

OUCH

Order placed, man those lip cast forms are $$$$$$$$$, I also ordered a caribou, meder form and a skunk... should be an interesting week or so.