1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Crockpot method for defleshing opossum skull

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by cobweb dweller, Feb 22, 2015.

1. cobweb dweller

cobweb dweller New Member

I'm working with a skinned, raw, meaty opossum skull. To help with defleshing, I was recommended to place it into a crockpot and simmer it in water along with Dawn and Borax before trying to clean it. Yet, I've no idea as to how long to do this. And should it be done on High or Low..? Does anyone here have any suggestions..?

2. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Get permission from the wife 1st before using her crock pot. Lol

3. akvz

akvz New Member

It's quicker to just take an x-acto knife and cut the meat off and then clean it.

4. With any euro I do I first start by taking out the eyes brains and as much meat as possible before I put it in the pot then I put dawn soap and simmer for a bit and that varies on the skull but on average I simmer for about 30 min or so after the water is hot then I finish cleaning what I could not get off raw

5. Raphite01

Raphite01 New Member

You can just plunk it in a container of warm water for a week or two and maceration will deflesh it completely. No worries about a crock pot, no need for monitoring a hot burner, no followup cleaning except normal degreasing, no chance of heat-damaging the bone, and it'll give you a jump-start on degreasing.

6. freeze_1

freeze_1 Booboo, my business manager

Simmer in a small pot of water just below boiling with a tablespoon of baking soda for approx. 45 minutes.
    After about 45 minutes try pulling the flesh off.
    Re-simmer cleaned skull in water with dawn dish detergent then set aside in a separate plastic or glass
    container with a 1/2 cup of ammonia stirring frequently to help degrease it. Repeat until you are satisfied
    that the skull is grease free then rinse with clean hot water.
    "Caution", when pouring off the water, always pour through a fine strainer or cheese cloth to prevent
    lose of any small teeth.

7. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

My wife saw a video of this $100 pot used to boil skulls. You would have to google it to find the name of it. From what I remember it electifies the water and works like a charm. No heat I don't think, just electricity. Think they sell it in sportsmans guide as well. Anyhow wife is going to buy one and if it is fast and simple I will post something about it. I am going to google it and if I find it I will post the info in the skull and beginner sections.