1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turtle Carapace ID?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by akvz, Feb 23, 2015.

1. akvz

akvz New Member

[​IMG]

Found in deep south Texas (Aransas county) while shed hunting in the middle of oak woods. There is not any water for at least a mile in any direction from where this was picked up, BUT it being a water dwelling species is not out of the question, as a bird could have dropped it for all I know... it was also found next to a coyote deer kill in several pieces and with no other turtle or reptile bones nearby... anyone have any ideas? I just want to know if it's safe to keep or if it's even possible to get a positive ID on this.

[​IMG]

I don't have a very good measurement for scale or even measuring purposes (I'm watching a friend's house) but the plastron, as completed as in the pic above, is about 7" long. Thanks if you can help!

2. I'd say red eared pond slider. Even though it was far from water predators will carry things a long way.

3. akvz

akvz New Member

Yeah, no doubt it happens... Earlier this week I found a fawn skeleton spread out about half a mile across a fence line, a toe here, a shoulder there, etc... I hope it's a red eared slider and not anything that's forbidden to have! The size is what threw me, a red-eared slider is about the only thing around here that could be this big, but it is pretty far from water.

4. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    Slider would be a fair guess. Wrong plastron and a little big for a box. Most other water turtles in our area have a flared carapace, hard to tell on yours but it doesn't look like it does. You'd be surprised how far any water turtle will travel overland after a good rain. Build a new pond away from any other and they will show up. They are good at smelling water and each other. Could have been drug off by an animal but may have just gotten caught in transit.

5. akvz

akvz New Member

Hm... that's true. There's actually a park with a huge, probably definitely overpopulated red-eared slider population fairly close by, and we have a lot of osprey here... I really wouldn't be surprised if the turtle was heading to a new location somewhere, or if s/he was picked up by an osprey and dropped. It could be a number of things but the more I'm looking at the shell pieces and cross-referencing with known turtle species in Texas... the more it looks like a red-eared slider to me, too. Thanks guys!

6. AH7

AH7 New Member

My only problem is that I am pretty sure that red-eared sliders don't have antlers. I don't think they have the dexterity to use mechanical pencils either, but the antlers are what is really throwing me off.

7. It looks like you have more plastron than you do carapace.

8. akvz

akvz New Member

The antler sheds are actually from a local species of jackalope, but Kendall is right... I do have more plastron than carapace and I probably put the wrong title in.