1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pricing for crow mounts

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ofearthandbone, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ofearthandbone

ofearthandbone New Member

I do not know how much to sell crows for. I am still a novice but a friend is going to get some crows for me. I know crows are considered varmint here in maine so not sure if they are of less value.
    Thanks!

2. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe crows are considered migratory birds. As such they can be mounted, but not sold, same as ducks and geese.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Correct. At least in the U.S.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  4. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

Yes! Crows are considered Migratory Birds. There are seasons in some states. As such they can't be sold. If they are taken during a legal season,they can be possessed and mounted but not sold.

5. akvz

akvz New Member

They're priceless.

The only birds you're going to be able to sell will be farm-raised with paperwork, and non-native birds including pigeons, starlings, and house sparrows.

6. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

To put it plainly, in the USA it is both a federal and a state crime to sell or barter crows or any of their body parts, including their feathers. Dead, alive, mounted - it doesn't matter.
    Yes, it would be legal to sell them IF they were captive bred and came with the necessary permits, but first you would have to find a captive-bred crow. (Hint: good luck. The few that you might find are mostly pied crows, and they are HELLA expensive!)

If you are looking for a legal-to-sell alternative, there are some solid black chicken breeds which have a lot of feathers that are very similar - even to the point of having a similar blue-black sheen.

7. ofearthandbone

I'm having a hard time finding the legalities on crow taxidermy. Here in maine they are not considered migratory birds...I'll keep searching....thanks for the feedback!

8. Kuzky3

Kuzky3 New Member

MN
    Federally they are considered migratory birds so that would included Maine

9. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

50 CFR 10.13 List of Migratory Birds.

The following is a list of all species of migratory birds protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (16 U.S.C. 703– 711) and subject to the regulations on migratory birds contained in this subchapter B of title 50 CFR.

Crow: American, Corvus brachyrhynchos Fish, Corvus ossifragus Hawaiian, Corvus hawaiiensis Mexican, Corvus imparatus Northwestern, Corvus caurinus White-necked, Corvus leucognaphalus

10. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

You really don't need to do any searching - you've already got the answer.
    I think it's more likely that you don't like hearing the legalities - not that I blame you.
    Everybody has told you the same thing and no amount of searching is going to reveal a loophole that we've missed. Believe me, if there were a way to get around the stupid US bird laws, somebody on this site would have figured it out.

Decades ago.

11. akvz

akvz New Member

Oh, but alternatively... if you have the proper permit and licensing to do migratory bird mounts for clients and their birds... $225 for crows, but it obviously varies. I would charge the same as a medium duck.

12. Absolutely correct, there are ALOT of animals birds etc that are federal grounds not states. You need to familiarize yourself with federal laws and then come down to state laws. The United States government sure supersedes any state laws. Season or no season they are federally regulated migratory birds. You will need your federal permit not just a state taxidermy permit to work on any and all migratory birds. And as stated no part of them can be sold, bartered or traded on. You can only charge the service of taxidermy on legally taken ones for a customer or if it is gifted to you, you may mount it for yourself or give it away but all this should be documented.

Feds are nothing to play with.

Now I'm thinking you can upland game birds.... Pheasants, chukar, turkeys because they aren't migratory.
    Correct me someone if I'm wrong.

13. ofearthandbone

Boooooooooooooo....! That stinks. I had so many baddass mounts in my head for crows. I'll take all of your words for this and greatly appreciate all of your advise. I have a friend who is going to get some this year so I will certainly make use of the for practice. I want a whole room filled with them. Thanks again!

14. Nitrosteel

Nitrosteel New Member

Do you have to have a federal permit to mount wild turkeys for others? As I read through the federal permit application - I’m thinking not, but want to be sure I’m reading it right. I know I would have to have for waterfowl and most any other bird...

15. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

No federal permit required for turkeys. But, you do need whatever your state requires as a permit.