1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buck Boiler

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by twinrivers, Feb 27, 2015.

1. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I looked it up it is called the Buck Boiler by On Time Feeders, and it is sold at Bass Pro, Cabela, or online for $100. Decent reviews. Reviews stated customer service was great. They also stated it averages 8 hr turnaround times on fleshed skulls.holds 4 gallons of water in the plastic bucket. The negatives were that one user said after 6-8 skulls the electrode burned out and need replaced. Another stated the bucked cracked after a few uses but had a replacement within three days no charge. Overall rating was 4.2/5.0 I think. May be worth looking into. I know my wife wants one because there is no boiling and chemical use.

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

For 1 or 2 skulls you could use one, but this used to be sold by another company. The company went out of business because the product breaks after 5-7 uses. They don't replace them once they are broken. If you are looking for something to do one or two skulls, you could try it. If you are looking for something to do your customers', it won't last and there are better methods.

3. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I kinda figured it was too good to be true. I really need to get me a power washer set up going, just don't want the driveway stinking or a bunch of stray cats and dogs and shtuff hanging around the house. Thought about power fleshing into a kiddie pool or something to contain it.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I made my own with a stock feed bucket, hot water heater element and a long cord. The bucket was purchased at the feed store, the element and cord at the hardware store. The cost was under $50. I rarely use it, but It has done several really well.

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I've done the same thing, but use a 30 gallon rubber maid.

6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have an old canning kettle that I fill with water placed over camp stove. I use a smaller roasting pan for removing extra skin and meat from racks to be mounted, allot less smell. Add seasonings and potatoes you have stew. ;)

7. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Jesus...let's end this thread before we start throwing recipes out there...lol.

8. I have noticed that this product seems to receive a lot of bad reviews online, however, I have done about 10 skulls with this product and it has worked very well for me. I usually follow the directions to the T as far as adding the amount and type of detergent, as I've heard lots of people's problems were from adding too much detergent, or a different type, etc. That being said, It's not exactly as advertised tho, if you want optimal results you are still going to have to do some scrubbing, and change the water atleast once, and degrease. One of the nicest things about it for me is that you don't have to babysit it.