1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Machine

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Steves Taxidermy, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Steves Taxidermy

Steves Taxidermy "Speak The Language"

Can you flesh a Boar hide on a fleshing machine once you have the shield removed?

2. Yes.

3. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    yes

4. RobinK

RobinK New Member

Do it all year face i use the wire wheel

5. would it be easier to do with a wire wheel that is real coarse or a fine one ? would you use a had held grinder with the wheel at 90 deg. ? or try to do with a bench grinder ? i get the big pigs just haveing trouble gettig shield off !!!!! old form said to checker board and cut off with a knife wow ! talk about work.. mark

6. RobinK

RobinK New Member

on the shield i use the big english fleshing knife takes me about20 minutes to do it wire wheel wont take the shield off wire wheel i use is heavy duty 8inch by 1 1/4 from granger anyway vandykes has the big fleshing knives 150.00 dollors

7. the knife and beam is the way to go on the sheld.

8. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

how bout setting the fleshing machine very coars and taking shield off that way

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

you won't have much of a blade left when finished.

10. swampfox

swampfox New Member

I have shaved the shield off a boar cape with my fleshing machine, and as stated before , it is rough on your blade. Only did that once. Best take the shield off with a large sharp curved butchers knife, or sheffield type knife, then use your machine to flesh, and thin the rest. Just my experience. ;D

11. swampfox

swampfox New Member

One more thing to remember. There are very thin places on the cape you will need to be careful with when using your machine. You will have to lighten up, and feather touch it across the blade, or reajust the blade setting in these areas. Most people get as much fat off as possible with the knife while they have it on a beam.